Eighteen

When Walida heard the news about Barakah on Saturday evening. She quickly called Shamsu to inform him that she was going home. Then she prepared the boys for bed, locked the door and flagged down a rickshaw.

Thankfully, it only took her ten minutes to reach her parent’s house.
“Assalamu alaikum,” She greeted as she lifted the purple curtain and stepped into the dimly-lit but warm living room. Her parents were seated on the sofa, in their nightgowns, talking in hushed tones. 

Obviously they didn’t hear her, so she cleared her throat. Alhaji Yusha’u raised his head and gave her a tired smile, “Walili, kin karaso?”

She nodded and sat on the carpeted floor, eyes trained on them, more on Hajja Muna whose head was still bowed.

“Ina wini.”

Her father replied. Hajja didn’t. Walida shot her father a questioning look. He just shrugged. 

“Hajja,” She called out quietly, leaning forward.

Hajja finally raised her head and rubbed her sleepy eyes. “Oh, Walida.”

“I just got the call from Yaya Ismail, is it true?” Walida asked her father, for she was still finding it hard to believe. She had guessed that things weren’t going well at Kauthar’s, but she didn’t know it was this bad.

Alhaji Yusha’u nodded, “she was taken on Friday.”

Kauthar covered her mouth in shock, “Ya Allahu.”

Hajja Muna pursed her lips in a frown, “But they didn’t inform us till today.” She pointed a finger to the floor. “and it wasn’t even Kauthar, but her husband. Sekace we are not family.”

“Toh maybe she was still in shock.” Alhaji Yusha’u said.

Hajja Muna gaped at him, “Shock for what, is Barakah her biological daughter?”

“Mama!” Walida cried out, “Haba Mama, whether or not they are not the same blood, they are still family.”

“Ohh, we kuma we’re not family, ko?” She shook her head and clicked her tongue. “It’s obvious she doesn’t need our help. If not, she could have said something since.”

Alhaji Yusha’u sighed, “What they need is prayer.”

“Or we should even go and see her.”
Hajja muna raised her hands, “Ba da niba–count me out, since we don’t matter much to her, let her solve her problems herself. Aikin banzaNonesense.” She hissed loudly and left the room.

Walida shook her head. When would this mother of hers stop taking little things to heart?

“Baba, about the travelling. Kauthar needs us. I know she has a problem in voicing out her issues, but we need to be there for her.” 

“I know, I was already planning to go to Lagos tomorrow in sha Allah.”

“I want to go too.”

Kai, will your mai gida allow you?”

Walida frowned, “Why will he stop me? this is an emergency fa.”

Alhaji Yusha’u shook his head, “Don’t worry, your mother and I will go.”

Walida glanced at the room Hajja had gone into, “With the way she’s raging, will she want to go?”

He smiled, “Don’t mind her, she’s just hurt that Kauthar didn’t come running to her, you know how she likes being needed.”