Forty-three

On her way back home, Walida stopped by Aisha’s house to help tidy things up. But to her surprise, the gate was locked from the outside with a padlock that looked brand new. 

Confused, Walida tried asking the two gatemen in the neighboring houses. but no one knew when he had left. 

On getting home, she paused by the door and placed her ear on its smooth mahogany texture. A faint laugh erupted. They was a good sign. She let out a breath, wondering how to present herself:
surprised but happy, or surprised and teary. She wasn’t sure but she didn’t  want to overdo it. 

Taking another deep breath, she went in; her eyes first landed on her father on the sofa directly facing the door, he was facing Shamsu on the seat beside his. None of them noticed her. As she was about to announce her presence, the guest room door opened, revealing Grace, wiping her wet face with a towel. Then she saw Walida and froze. 

Walida gaped at her. “You!” She cried out. That got the men’s attention.

“Walidudu.” Her father called. 

She was too angry to pout at his nickname. Her eyes zeroed on Shamsu, who was standing.
“What is going on? Why is she here?” She pointed at Grace.

“Please calm down.” Grace said, raising her manicured hands.

Walida’s head snapped towards her. That was she noticed a gold bang on her left middle finger. Wasn’t Grace a widow? Why would she still have a ring on her? Unless...she gasped, turned to Shamsu, then her father. She was wrong after all. 

Quickly, she turned around for the door, ignoring her father and Shamsu’s call. She knew it. She knew that jewelry box was for Grace, and now he was here to announce his intentions. No wonder Grace was wearing a loose abaya, her hair wrapped with a scarf. Maybe she wanted to revert. Or she had already reverted. As she ran towards the gate, someone ran ahead of her and blocked the gate, facing her like a goalkeeper ready for the winning shot. 

Walida halted, eyes wide and nose flaring. “Get out of my way!” 

“Listen first.” Grace said. 

Walida glanced around, then noticed Grace was only blocking the main gate. As she rushed towards the small one, Grace raced her there. “I was a three time racing champion in secondary school, so don’t try me.” She said, panting, eyes wide in excitement.”

Walida frowned, turned to the gateman’s post. “He went to visit his daughter.” Grace said. 

Walida glared at her, stood straight and huffed. “What do you want?”

Grace folded her arms, “To talk, that’s why I’m here.” She eyed her, long lashes fluttering slowly,  “Your husband told me about your fight.”

Walida scoffed and folded her arms, “Oh, is gossip part of what you do at work?”

She chuckled. “Look, I’m not here to exchange petty words with you. There’s nothing going on between us. That’s it.”

“Then why has he been coming home late since he started working with you?”

Grace raised a carved eyebrow. “We’re just starting out so there’s a lot to do.”

Walida narrowed her eyes. “And the car?”

“A thank you gift!” She shook her head in disbelief. “Your husband is a very hardworking man. Do you know how stressed he had been since he lost his shop?”

“Of course I do. I’m his wife!” She poked her chest. What was Shamsu not telling her?

“Then you’d understand.” Grace spat.