Thirty-seven

Surprise Surprise!

Read till the end.

Meena stared at her reflection in the mirror. She took in a deep breath, released it, took another, released it again. Nur was currently on his way. There was a bang from her parent’s room. It startled her. She shook her head. Ever since her mother was informed about the recent development last night, she had been quiet, only talking through loud sounds and bangs. 

Meena wished she could also feel just one thing: anger, like her mother. Or curiosity, like her father. Instead, she was feeling more than that: excitement and fear. She wasn’t even able to concentrate on her date with Badr last night, even with his jokes and easy smile, she was far away, thinking, wondering, fearing, hoping that today would end well, hoping things won't change.

There was another bang. Thank God the twins weren’t home today. Only God knew how it’d all end. She turned around, sighted her bed, four steps ahead. Without thinking, she jumped. As her legs left the floor, she shut her eyes, spread her arms and let go. She landed with her chin pressing on the springy mattress. She stayed silent, reveling in the thrill of spontaneity, of taking a leap without knowing where to land, but landing somewhere safe at the end. She opened her eyes and turned till her eyes landed on the ceiling. If only the trials of her life could be this straightforward. She didn’t mind the trials, she just wished she had more control of what was happening, so it won't affect her so. 

With another sigh, she sat up. And at that moment, the door swung open, her mother stood, face unreadable. Meena stared at her. What was she thinkng. “Ummi?” She called out. Her mother didn’t move. She climbed off the bed, frowning. Was she okay? She slowly went towards her. “Ummi?” 

“Don’t let him fool you.” She said. Meena paused and blinked. When did her mouth move? Her mother released a breath. “Let’s go and prepare something for our guest.”

They worked silently, going back and forth with stilted breaths, only flaps, clinks and pats made up for the silence while the scent of spiced boiled meat struggled with the tension in the air. When they heard the car horn, they froze, exchanging unsure looks. Meena swallowed and turned to the eba she was molding with a wooden stick, while her mother washed the ewedu leaves in the sink. 

“Ah, this is what happens when two of the world’s greatest chefs come together.” AbdulHameed said behind them. 

Meena smiled widely, then felt his hands on her shoulders, “Barak Allah habibty.” He whispered as she nodded. Without turning, she knew he was with her mother, trying to soothe her. And with the silence following his voice, she knew her mother had ignored him. 

“Toh, let me go and keep our guest company then.” 

How was he so calm? There was a clatter in the sink. Meena turned around in alarm. She rushed to her mother whose hands were gripping the edge of the sink. That was when her eyes spotted the blood lining the edge of the knife. “Ummi!” She tried grabbing her hand, but her mother moved away towards the door. She stopped, and without turning around, she said, “Don’t let him fool you. Remember what you went through.” Without waiting for a reply, she left.

Meena took a deep breath.
Don’t let him fool you.
She brought out a drink, placed it on a tray, grabbed a cup and made her way into the living room.
Don’t look.

After keeping the tray on the table, she headed towards her room. 

“Amina,” Her father called. She closed her eyes. “Won’t you greet him?” Turning around, she saw his head bowed, his black curls shining like the black kaftan he was wearing. He looked good. It was hard not to admit.