Forty-two

“Assalamu alaikum, Abu Talha.” Meena greeted with a smile. 

“Assalamu alaikum, Umm Salma.” He replied. “Hope I’m not disturbing.” 

She shook her head, “What’s up?”

“Nothing, just came to check up on you. You were looking a bit unwell last night.”

Oh, so he noticed. “Yeah, I was a bit stressed. Thank you.” 

“Thank God.” He revealed the hand behind his back. Meena gaped at the brown nylon. “From my Ummi.” He smiled and bowed his head. 

She smiled, her eyes getting watery. She didn’t deserve this. “She shouldn’t have bothered. We haven’t even met yet.” 

“Ah, why shouldn’t she? You’re her in-law to be na. Besides, she has met your Ummi and they hit it off real good.” He winked. 

“Really? I didn’t know o.”

“Ehe na, do they need your permission to meet each other?” He folded his arms and eyed her.

She smiled, “I hear you.” 

“I should get going. Having a meeting by twelve.” He gazed at her. 

There was something in his eyes, twinkling at her, welcoming her. She blinked, hoping it was just her imagination. “Okay, let me escort you.”

He frowned. “Free me na.”

She shook her head in confusion. His eyes moved downwards, her eyes followed. She covered her mouth to hide a chuckle, then collected the bag. “It’s heavy o.”

“She’s not the only one who can give gifts.” He shrugged. She shook her head and fell in step with him.

When they reached the gate, he turned to her, “No need to go outside. Just go and rest.” 

“Because I said I’m tired, abi?”

“I don’t want to stress you more.” He held her eyes.

Her breath hitched. There was the look again. She cleared her throat. “I really appreciate your coming.” She opened the gate. 

“I really appreciate your presence in my life.” He held the gate.

Meena ignored his comment. “We’ll talk later.”

He gazed at her once more, then nodded. “Sure in sha Allah. Assalamu alaikum.”

“Wa alaikum salam.” As she closed the gate. She leaned against it and covered her mouth to hold back her cry. She couldn’t do this alone. She needs help. 

Taking a deep breath, she cleaned her face and went back inside. The living room was empty, except for Nur. Just who she needed to see alone. As she sat, he raised his head from his phone. She smiled. He smiled, a brow raised.

“I’m sorry for misjudging you,” She began. “a huge part of me was more pessimistic than hopeful.”

“You should’ve trusted me.” He said in a low voice. “I had it all planned out.”

“I know. I-”

“But it’s not important now, is it? Your mum just finished filling me in about your suitor.” He looked away and shut his eyes. “I want you to be happy, with or without me. You deserve it.”

Meena watched him. He had made it easy. She had to get rid of the one she didn’t want, while the one she wanted was already leaving. And she couldn’t stop him. As long as his mother won’t accept her wholeheartedly, she’d never feel happy with him.