Thirty-six

Meena glanced at her phone on her lap, waiting. It’s been thirty minutes since Nur called. But why hadn’t he called again? She shook her head. She shouldn’t care whether he did or not. They were over. He made sure of it. So she shouldn’t bother, for if he did, he’d call again.

She hissed and picked her phone. Just then, the doctor came in, smiling. 

“Welcome Doctor.” 

“Thank you. Well done.”

“Still sleeping?”

She peeked at Hoor. “Yes.”

“And her mother?”

Oh right. Kauthar and Barakah. “She’s on her way.” Meena said, dialing Kauthar’s number. What kind of friend was she?

The doctor nodded. “Let me know when she wakes.”

Meena smiled and placed the phone against her ear. Three rings later, she dropped the phone. Then she noticed Hoor’s hand moving. She moved her chair closer and took Hoor’s hand. Her phone began to ring. 

Eyes still closed, Hoor whispered, “Mummy?”

“She’s coming.” Meena carried the phone, without checking the name, “Kauthar, how far na, Hoor just woke up.” 

There was silence. She frowned. Had something bad happened? “Kauthar?” 

There was an slow intake of breath. “Meenabty.” 

Meena’s eyes widened, her breath stilted. He really was back. 

“Meena.” He said again. 

“Aunty Meena.”

Her head snapped towards Hoor.

“Is it Mummy?” 

Meena blinked, cleared her throat. “I have to go.”

“Wai-” he started to say, but she ended the call. Not now. 

For the rest of the day, she focused on Hoor: changed her clothes, took her out for lunch, and kept her busy with games and jokes. Nur didn’t call again.

When Kauthar finally called, it was few minutes after sunset. And Meena had already taken Hoor home with her. 

“We’re on our way.” Meena told Kauthar as she put on her hijab. 

“Okay.” 

Meena stopped. “Are you okay? You sound…” 

Kauthar laughed. “No, I’m fine. Barakah is back so it’s all good.”

Meena smiled and closed her bedroom door. “Oya o, Shukra bring Hoor o.” She called out and plopped down on the arm chair.

Fadilah came up behind her. “Binti,” 

“Ummi.” She smiled. 

“Where to?” 

“Kauthar’s place.”

“Oh, she’s back with Barakah?” 

“Yes o, we thank God.” 

“Barak Allahu feeki, help me greet her please. We’ll visit tomorrow in sha Allah.”

As Meena nodded and rose from her seat. She watched her mother across her, eyes on the tv, looking serene in her brown ankara skirt and blouse.”

Should she tell her?

“Em, Ummi?”

Fadilah turned. “Na’am?” 

Meena opened her mouth. Or should she wait for her father? Since they were all in this together. Her father might even want to talk to him. But her mother… “You look really nice tonight.” She winked.