Twenty-three

“I tell you Aunty, Madam Bose really likes me. She even allows me do her makeup for her. No other girl has that privilege.”

Meena listened as Shukra prattled on about her boss. She stirred the thick palm oil stew, shook off the oil from the ladle and closed the pot. She turned away, backing the gas cooker.

"So does that mean we can get free makeup from the shop too?" 

Shukra rinsed a plastic spoon under the tap and turned to her. "Only at home o."

Meena folded her arms, “Why na? We are family o."

“But this is business na. You suppose know that more than me.”

Meena turned back to the stew, opened the pot to release its peppery fresh fish aroma, stirred once more, then turned off the gas. 

" You will not taste it?" Shukra asked. 

"No need, does that aroma smell like something is missing?"

Shukra laughed, "No, boss." She laughed again as Bush ran into the kitchen, carrying a tray of two round bowls, one containing a small mound of amala, the other, a spoonful of ewedu soup and fish bone. 

Shukra collected the tray with a frown, "Ah ah, finish it na."

"No, I don't like amala." She said, scrunching her face. 

"But last time you said yellow garri." Meena said. 

Bushra scratched one of the braids on her head. "Ehen, that's what I feel like eating today."

Shukra hissed loudly, shooting her twin an annoyed look." Don't even try it. Who is going to finish that big flask of amala?"

"I've already told ummi and she said yes." Bushra folded her arms in defiance. 

"You're on your own o, because I'm not making any amala for you."

"Ah na!" Bushra stamped her feet on the floor while her sisters resumed their works. 

There was a knock on the door, but nobody moved. Then there was another, followed by Fadilah's voice, "Go and check who is at the door na."

Shukra wiped her hands with a towel hanging on the window's burglary-proof gate. She turned to Bushra who was leaning against the standing fridge." Won't you go and check?"

"Shebi you have finished, go na." Bushra replied. 

Meena pretended not to hear them. She busied herself with the leftover ewedu soup in the pot. 

"Aunty Meena, see o."

She sighed. These girls would never grow up. "Bushra, if you allow me face you, or if Ummi should call again. Hmm..."

The knock sounded again." Is there nobody in that kitchen?!" 

Meena turned to Bushra. Bushra eyed Shukra, then stamped her way to the door.

Shukra let out a loud and soow hiss, "Stupid girl."

"Hey." Meena narrowed her eyes. 
"Sorry Aunty."

Then a loud "Juicy Hussy!" came from the sitting room. Meena and Bushra went out to see their mother's head under a taller woman's double chin, her veiled head almost grazing the ceiling, her skin as brown as dry dates. The three sisters exchanged awed looks. 

When they finally pulled away, Meena cleared her throat, "Emm, welcome ma." She pinched Shukra who was still gaping beside her. 

"Thank you my dears," Hussy smiled, revealing a huge gap teeth. She turned to Fadilah, "your children are all grown ups."