Chapter 9

Mal in MM.

August A.

I rolled over to my side and smiled once I seen Mal laying there knocked out. I kissed her forehead and got out the bed, making sure not to wake her up.

I got up and walked into her bathroom. Well, I found my way there. I've never been past the living room , kitchen, or Jace's room , in her new house.

I brushed my teeth and took a quick shower. I wrapped a towel around me and dug into her underwear drawer , knowing she still had some of my boxers. It never fails.

I then dug threw her closet finding a pair of my old sweatpants.

I heard laughter coming from downstairs so I made my way down there to see Jace laying on the couch watching Spongebob.

"Daddy! What are you doing here?" He asked sitting up.

"Had to check on mama. You hungry?" I asked.

He nodded his head . "Can you cook?"

"Duh. I'm a better cook than your mama to be honest." I said.

"What does honest mean?" He asked.

"To tell the truth." I answered as I made my way to the kitchen and he followed.

"So, can you cook pancakes and grits?" He asked.

I nodded. "You want both?"

He smiled and nodded. "Yes sir. I just want to mix my syrup in my grits. It's so good."

I laughed and shook my head . He had to get that from Malorie.

*

"Thanks for cooking breakfast." Malorie said as she buttoned up Jace's coat.

"It's nothing." I said sipping from my orange juice.

"Now you stay in the backyard, and the backyard only. Okay?" She asked Jace.

He nodded as she opened the back door for him to go out. She opened the blinds on both of the big windows that showed the backyard so she could keep a eye on him.

"He love the outdoors." I said.

"He really does." She smiled peaking out the window before sitting down next to me.

"I think it's time for us to have a serious talk and clarify, exactly what we're doing." I said.

"Well, I honestly don't know what we're doing. I wanna be with you , but my heart just won't allow it right now." She said. "Everyday I look at Jace my heart breaks a little. He has the same smile, nose, forehead, perfect teeth, and big ears just like you. It's like a spitting image. When I look at him all I can think about is you cheating on me while carrying my beautiful baby boy."

I looked at her to see tears forming in her eyes. 5 years later and my infidelities still hurts her. But I can't blame her, we never had a conversation to get over it, her heart has done no mending.

"I'm sorry Malorie. I really am. I don't know what I can do to make this better other than say I'm sorry." I sighed.

"Counseling.?" She said.

I smacked my lips. "Malorie, you know how I feel about telling all my buisness to a complete stranger."

"It's going to be a professional, she knows what she's doing ." She said.

"No. We gone just have to fix this ourselves." I said looking over to see if Jace was okay.

"You know what. Forget it, you ain't willing to spend a hour of getting us better, then forget it. I see exactly how important I am to you." She said getting up and stomping upstairs.