The Smoky Place (Part 3)

He didn't say a word. He walked up to me and we were left staring into each other's eyes. It was hard to make myself look into his eyes but once I did, I felt acceptance and belonging. He looked down at me from his great height, short enough to pass for a human at first glance but when observed closely, he was taller than any human.

He reached out his hand, almost as if he was about to touch my cheek. I leaned in instinctively, as if I had done this a thousand times before. Instead of touching my cheek, though, his hand swept through my cheek. His hand made a sweeping motion, as if he was blowing something away.

All I could do was stare at him as some memories appeared into my mind, as if they had always been there. How many times had I admired his candid beauty, his regal power.

I could tell he was doing something to do with his 'line of work' because he had that look he always had on his face when he was working. The calm, melancholy nostalgia that always took over him. I felt as if I had been starved without him and now, I ached to stay with him.

When he was done, a small sad expression came over his face. I wanted to do something, to touch his cloak, his hair, his cheek, to make sure he was in front of me. But I couldn't, I was frozen and left with the feeling that he would be ripped away from me again.

He didn't touch me. He hardly did. He rarely changed his expression or tone of voice. He rarely touched me at all. And yet, he was still so sensual.

I continued watching him, my heart breaking with every second. He lifted his hand and touched my forehead, then continued to drag his fingers down my face, to my nose. He stopped at my lips and left them lingering there for a few precious moments. He leaned forward and disappeared.

I was left feeling choked and cheated.

I stared at the space where he had been standing, the Smoky place disappearing all around me, as if it was fading into the background. I willed him to come back, desperately, though I knew he only went places at his own will.

"Eveny," Miguel said, running towards me. I had ended up a few meters away from Miguel and Amber. "Calm down. We can figure this out."

I looked at them, then back at the spot where He had just been. The pressure that was on my mind before, the same one that came along with the smoky place, was gone. My emotions were in check again.

"I'm fine," I said, a little stunned. Why did he have to leave so quick?

Miguel and Amber kept acting like I was still and emotional wreck. Amber was grabbing my face like I was having a seizure and Miguel was checking my pulse. I shook Miguel off and pushed Amber away. "Guys, I'm fine."

They stepped back and looked at me with confusion. "I- what happened to you?" Miguel demanded, angry at once. "Are you trying to play a trick- what happened just then?"

I didn't know whether to tell them about Him visiting me. It felt like a small secret, the memory of him was something I wanted to keep to myself.

"I don't know," I said. It wasn't a lie. "Everything went....I- I felt a weight get taken off my mind," I said. Not a lie, either.

"We should get you back to our place. I want to check if everything is alright with you," Amber said.

As she and Miguel discussed everything, I decided somthing.

Stuff it. I couldn't survive on my own. I thought I had managed to convince myself that I didn't care if I died. But after His visit...

I swallowed my fear.

I would live. Even if I would only get to see him one last time.

-

I was laying on a carpet in Miguel's underground library. It wasn't so much underground and it was in a small courtyard, that had been placed into a large hole.