Turmoil

Wobbling, I stood up and rubbed my head. The ruckus was still going on but no one had seen me fall.
I was glad. If they had they probably would have been suspicious at my lack of injuries.

Falling out a window may not be great but it sure had its silver linings, like the fact that I was no longer inside and could wag school without anyone noticing.

Smiling, I strolled out the gates, if boring the papers that floated down around me from the classrooms.

Our schools, Charlesten Senior School, and WPC were located on a street that was just around the corner from the shops and cafes. This made it extraordinarily easy to hide, except for the fact that the shops keepers were pretty strict on not serving students during school hours unless it was our lunch break.

I had been to Charlesten several times but even now, living here, I never really had the opportunity to explore it on my own.

I walked past the tiny cafes ignoring the looks the people sent me since I was still in my uniform. There were a few cafes that the school kids frequented but those were mostly the places where the cool 'hip' people hung out.
I didn't really like that.

A sign flashed in my peripheral vision and I took a few steps back and looked at it.

Darcy

I had been there before. Pushing the door open, a bell tinkled and I went inside.
The shop was a mixture of a clean clothes store and an antiques shop. I stared around, acknowledging the changes that had occurred since the last time I had been there which had been around a few years ago.

"Hi, welcome to my shop," a young woman's voice said.
I spun around and saw a slightly overweight girl wearing a bandana and fashionable glasses, standing behind the previously vacant counter.
"Im Darcy as the name suggests."

"Oh, I-"

"Should be in school, shouldn't you?" She said, patronizingly. She moved around the counter and towards me. "I swear, you kids are always getting me into trouble with the authorities. I want you oh- hey," she pointed her finger at e, squinting, her voice changing from icy to warm in a matter of seconds. "I remember you."

I gulped and backed away. "Oh, do you?" My back hit a shelf and I braced my hands against it.

Her pouffed dyed red hair made her seem urban and terrifying.
"Yeah, you came here with your brother a couple of times," her face lit up and she snapped her fingers. "George. I think I have his number on my phone."

I eyed her widely, unsure of where she was going with the conversation.
Then I realised what she said. She had his number. She could call him at any time and alert him to the fact that she saw me.
Recognition hit me and I realised I had to leave.

"Uh, I don't have any brothers," I said, backing towards the door. "You must be mistaken."

She grabbed my arm and came closer. "No, I definitely remember you. You have the same scar on your chin." She angled her head and leaned closer. "And your eyes. They're that weird dark green that looks black."

Shaking her off, I began backing out of the door. " No, I'm sorry, I don't know who you're talking about. You must have me confused." I didn't even face the door as the bells tinkled when I left. I just backed away, staring at her warily.

Pushing my way into the nearest secluded cafe, I chose a seat in the corner that had full view of the street fr the window.

Okay, I could have handled the confrontation better but I just hadn't expected it. At first, when I had 'woken up' I expected to see people I recognised, but so far, nothing had happened. Just as I had accepted that I had to move on from my old life, a stranger recognises me.