(in)Famous and (mis)fortunate

My mother and my father stared at me with wide, unknowing smiles. My first thought was, I'm dead. How are they so calm about seeing me? Do they not know I died?

My parents left their table and came to hug me. They were rambling on and on about how their travels were and the things they had done for their job.

Stunned, all the words I wanted to say when I saw them again, left my mouth. All the anger and abandonment I felt. At the same time, my body had frozen, completely in shock.

"You didn't come for my sixteenth birthday," was all that came out. "I haven't seen you for years."

"Oh, I know, Eveny, my darling," my mother cried, crushing me in her arms. "And we're so so sorry but we're here for this birthday. Our baby is turning eighteen!"

Quickly, I ran my family's birthday list through my head. Oh, it was my birthday. In two days.

And the chances of me having to spend it with my parents? 98%

"Oh, God, oh, God," pulling away, I rubbed my forehead, stressed to the max. "I'm not supposed to be doing this. I'm supposed to be dead."

"When did you get back from camp?" My dad asked, tucking me under his arm. "How was it?"

"Camp? What camp?" Absently, I began rubbing my cheeks in stress.

"Dante told us about this fantastic camp you went on," dad continued. "Some sort of summer military camp."

It was spring now. Dante is still an idiot. Not only that, but it seems that the boys hadn't told my parents about my death. It had been, what, a year and a half?
It led me to wonder whether the boys even had a funeral for me and why they didn't tell mum or dad.

"Oh it was fantastic," I had to work to keep the bite out of my tone. "I learnt so much." If my parents didn't know I had died, did that mean they had been away for...just over two years, counting the year they hadn't been there for, even when I was alive.

And my brothers. Why hadn't they told them?

Light flared around my hands as my anger rose. Stepping into the sunlight, I let it look like the suns reflection on my skin was what made it so bright.

"Thats good," my mother took over the conversation. "The boys are holding a party at the house on your birthday. They probably told you all about it though."

Biting my cheek, I smiled sourly. " No, actually, Im staying with a friend from military camp. So I don't know."

"Oh, the party starts at 4pm. Your father and I haven't seen your brothers yet so it'll be nice if we all arrive at 4 together."

"Of course, mum," the venom in my voice was practically boiling and I didn't bother hiding it. I could probably turn my family to stone with one glare. That's how mad I was. "Anything for you guys. I can't wait to see my brothers again, too. How surprised will they be?" With a fake laugh, I threw my head back. "Well, I've got to head out now, I'll see your guys in two days."

With one last hug, I walked out of the building before I could do what the other shadow walkers had been accused of doing.
***

Batty didn't grill me on my mood but I did have to deal with the feds that appeared at our door, banging on it. When they came rushing for me, I smacked one of them down and began yelling obscenities at them.

Before they could accuse me of assaulting an officer, Batty chimed in. "You can't run at a girl like you're about to tackle her, especially when shes on her period."

They didn't need to know those details but I was thankful because that probably got me out of being arrested.

After agreeing to sign a confidentiality agreement, and agreeing to meeting with Robert for an appointment in two days, they left. Not before threatening to find me if I ran. Sticking the finger up, I watched them leave.