Child's play

Standing outside the door, I pressed my ear to it to check if he was home.

The tv was on but that could just be to make people think he was home. We used to do that all the time.

"Merc," I turned to where he was leaned on the door next to me, his arms crossed as he watched me. "Can you please go in and check if he's home?"

Mercury nodded and ran his fingers down my face, then he walked through the door. A few seconds later he reappeared. "No one is home."

Now there was a new problem. The tower houses didn't have the normal doorknobs that robbers lived for.

No, since the Tower houses were occupied by the rich, they operated by mechanical password.

Groaning, I banged my head against the wall.

"You don't somehow magically know a way to obtain the password," I glanced at him from the side. " Do you?"

He shook his head and I quickly admired how nice his hair was.

Concentrate, Eveny.

The only way we had managed to get up to Cassidy's room level was to run into an elevator with another person who lived here. All residents required a special key card that was basically the key to everything.

I couldn't go back down to steal the master key card, if they even had one, because I would be locked out of the elevator.

Considering breaking the door handle, I placed my hand on it and tugged.

"There are video cameras."

Looming up to the corner of the hallway, I saw a little eye spying on me so I sent my lights to flare as brightly as they could, hoping it would somehow -though it was doubtful- break the little eye.

The camera became a spotlight, shining on me and Mercury.

He looked to me with wide eyes. " How did you do that?"

Oh, so Mercury didn't know about my death. Despite our previous reconciliation, I was hesitant to give him information he could hold over me.

Smirking, I leaned against the door, the light shined brightly in my eyes but didn't hurt me. "You have your secrets," I tapped his chest. "And I have mine."

Eyeing me with amusement he leaned closer. "Alright, Little Miss Mutant, a grin curved his lips but his next words were anything but flirty. "So, who is this guy that's been obsessed with you, lately? Another 'Friend'?"

I turned back to the door, reluctant to meet his eyes. "He's no one," I said, lightly. "Just a random guy."

Mercury took my reluctance to talk about it with him as a sign of guilt. "Oh, how did you two meet?"

"We didn't meet," I snapped. "He just appeared."

Beside me, he stiffened. "Appeared? is he imaginary, too?" Was it just me or did he sound bothered about it?

" No, he's not imaginary," I sighed. " Just annoying. Can we stop talking about this?"
Especially when he wouldn't leave me alone.

"Handsome?"

"Mercury!" I cried out in exasperation. "Really?"

"So he is 'handsome'," he muttered to himself. "At least according to you..." He spoke the next bit louder. "What's his name?"

Letting go of the handle, I turned to him. " Mercury, I'm not doing this with you."

He laughed and cornered me. "Why? does he mean something to you?" his eyes were wide but predatorial. "You seem extremely reluctant to talk about him, so he must mean something to you."