Chapter 12: The Star

You had wandered around the other parts of the tents during the night. You had been lying in bed and you couldn't sleep despite it being the first bed you had been laying in for quite some time. You made sure the Grimmchild was still sleeping before going on your stroll. You always thought the flames that lit the tents was always a fire hazard, but they just kept burning nonstop without any damage to the tent.

You soon wandered into the room where Devine was. You peaked your head in to see Devine still awake looking at a mirror. You decided to make your presence know to Devine with a simple, "Hello Devine." She turned her head at you and quickly smiled. "Ah, Y/N, come in, come in! I'll go fetch us some tea." You nodded and sat down as she went into her personal kitchen.

You hummed a song to wait until she came back. It was a slightly more happy song since you felt better in the tents than you did Dirtmouth, not that the people in the town were bad. The tents were just more welcoming to you than the quiet town of Dirtmouth.

You didn't realize that Devine was watching and hearing you hum. "My my, you have such a wonderful voice. It would be a shame to not see you preform with us." You shifted uncomfortably, the last time you were gonna sing for a crowd was when you lost everything. "Sorry Devine, I don't think that I'll be singing for a crowd anytime soon." She frowned as she handed you your tea. "Ah, I see, I hope that one day you'll change you mind."

You sipped your tea as you sat looking at Devine. She was truly a marvel beyond nature. "Why do you look the way you do Devine?" She looked at you with a puzzled look. "Why do you want to know?" You shifted again feeling bad for asking her. "I guess I am just curious why you have the legs of a slug but a body of a mantis."

She nods as she sips her tea again. "It was a long time ago, longer than Hallownest was a thing. I was a dancer for a theater and I was the star. I would move with such grace that everyone was entranced. Well, everyone but one. A butterfly that was the second star of the show was jealous of me and he sought to take action. I awoke to him in my house taking my legs with him." She shuddered before continuing with the story

"I was in pain, agony, feelings I thought I never would feel. I crawled my way to the nearest building for help, which as you guessed was the troupe tents. Master Grimm saw me and came to my aid. I recognized him as he went to one of my shows when those tents arrived. He said if I were to join the troupe, my life wouldn't be extinguished as quickly as the butterfly wanted. I hastily said yes, for I did not want to die at that time." She took a swig of tea as she finished her story

"So he put this mask on my face, then I blacked out. When I awoke I had this lower body. I was a bit mad but I quickly got over it. I would much rather be alive today than being dead from a jealous coworker." She finished her tea then smiled at you. "That's the story, anything else you want to ask?"

You pondered your mind before asking her a quick question. "Should I join the troupe?" She put her claw to her face in thought before she shrugged. "It's truly your decision dear. I would say yes but I'm not you. Master would be very happy and pleased if you were here. He cares for you, you know?" You nodded as you could see the facts pretty clearly

"Thank you Devine, have a good night." She picked up your cup as she waved goodbye "Come back anytime you wish Y/N!" You hobbled out as you left with more questions than answers.

(Sorry y'all, this went through 3 rewrites before I was happy with the product. I always felt the story was going in the wrong direction. Still, hope you guys enjoyed and see you guys soon!)