Chapter 1: Dullness

You woke with a heavy sweat under your little blanket. You have been getting these horrible dreams of the day you lost everything. You wish it could go back to normal, when you could see your parents and sibling without taking them for granted. You put away these thoughts and chit off the wall with a start, you were technically homeless from your house being destroyed by those...you shudder at the thought. They weren't themselves, you reasoned since your own father wouldn't be one of the main bugs destroying your house.

"You're awake." You heard Elderbug say as you walk to the bench. "I am indeed awake" you replied to him which gave him a little more sadness in his eyes. "Did you sleep well at least?" "Yeah, my dreams have been just peachy." You replied a bit too harshly. He sighed and switched the subject. "You can always stay at my house you know, not sleep next to the stagway wall." You knew that Elderbug cared deeply about your well being and he reminded you of your father, well, except that he's much older than your father and still has his mind. "No thanks, I'm fine where I am." He could see through your obvious lie and he tried to coax you one last time. "Please Y/N, the winter will be upon us and all you have is that flimsy blanket, it's not even covering your whole body!" You felt a slight pant of guilt having Elderbug care about you this much and you still decline everything he has offered to you.

"No thanks." You gave him a sober expression, you would stay with him but he seemed too much like your father, and that would bring up the day all over again. He would sigh but knew not to press the subject further. "Could you at least sing a small song?" You knew that he looked forward to your songs and you also felt bad that you made him feel worse than he already was. "Alright, just let me get some water before I start." He nodded as you went to fetch some water that didn't come from the well that all your family went into. After getting back on the bench you started your tune.

"Down in the kingdom far below,
Lived a pale couple that looked like snow.
Hand in hand they ruled the lands,
Until the day she came for them all.
Distraught the king quickly made a plan,
To hopefully make her kick the can.
The plan seemed to work so we can lay and rest,
Knowing that we all, owe it all, to the Hollow Knight."

You finished your song and Elderbug clapped for you. You did a little bow before sitting back down. "Such an beautiful and breathtaking voice, you shouldn't look down at the world. There will be someone that wants you." You laughed to yourself but not loudly so that Elderbug wouldn't feel bad. "Thank you, I should go and do my thing." He respectively nodded and went back to silently watching you.

The rest of the day went by as normal, eating and looking through the rubble of your old home, trying to find things that you could store in your little box of valuables. Today's find was a necklace that your mother probably owned and a dress that had a nice blackish red color to it. You took these things to your box and you settled in for the evening. You watched as Elderbug went in his house and shut off the lights. This day felt like it always repeated, the cycle of you getting up to singing yo searching through your old house. You couldn't take this routine much longer. You closed you eyes and went back asleep.

(2 things done in one day, feel pretty good about myself. Hope you guys stick around till the end! See ya!)