Chapter 20: The Cycle

Your adventures were going great, there was only one more nightmare kin to take and the Grimmchild, (Which you had started to call Ruby, because of it's ruby red eyes) was doing fantastic. It was almost like watching your younger siblings again, which brought a tear to your eye as you remembered their bright and innocent faces.

You shook your head as you went through deepnest. It was plenty scary, but your time sparring has taught you how to survive in places like this, so you kept pushing through avoiding the death pits and darkened caverns.

Once you arrived at the distance village, it was almost as if a aura of peace was here, despite it being the threshold of all of the spiders, and their famed leader Herrah. You struggled to climb the platforms but you finally went inside with your nail drawn and ready for a fight.

But despite being in deepnest, Brumm was there, holding the lantern as if expecting you.

"(Y/N), you made it, I'm impressed that you did, with death lurking around every corner." He didn't seem to move as he spoke softly to you.

"Wha, what are you doing here brumm? I didn't take you for a fighter." You said looking at him and his lack of a weapon other than the lantern

"I didn't fight, I merely took the stag here, which he begrudgingly did after I persisted."

You cursed yourself not knowing that there was a stag, and which would have made things entirely more easy than going through the spider pits

"But I still ask, why are you here Brumm?"

"Well I came to tell you that you need to break the cycle, this pointless run around of collecting nightmares and feeding the child, sacrificing the father, it just needs to stop."

"But what could I even do Brumm? I'm just a simple bug that got thrown into this wild ride of an adventure."

"Because Master has a deep love for you, even if he doesn't admit it, he still cares very deeply about your well being. How else do you explain why he came to your aid the first time you tried to gather a flame."

That did make a lot of sense, the way he turned when you looked at him from a far, his special treatment to you when you ate. But one thing lingered on your mind

"Why hasn't he come to me with these feelings then?"

"Master wouldn't know how you would react to them."

"Well that's just silly! Why would he hide his feelings with one that he loved?"

"Because of the cycle, he will soon be gone from this existence if the cycle continues, so you're the only one that can stop this cycle."

"Well.." You huffed as you didn't have a remark back at Brumm for that

"Alright, I'll do it, now tell me what needs to be done."

After telling you his plan of breaking the cycle, he gave you the flame and nodded at you, trusting you to do the right thing. You sure hoped that you were.

(Ah, it's been too long, but I'll still keep up my promise of finishing the story, and hoping that I won't take as long next time. See you guys later!