Chapter 38

All right, I have no idea how good this chapter is. But that's the best I could do, so yeah...

And yes, I know I said that I'd wait to post this closer to the next chapter (which I haven't written yet), but I'm too excited and well, yeah... I'm just too impatient and wanted to share this one with you all! 

Enjoy!

---

The Next Day...

"The accelerator..." Cisco said from in front of one of the computers. "It's been reactivated."

He had just been explaining to Caitlin, Barry, and Joe about a futuristic power source he'd found underneath Dr. Wells's wheelchair when a beeping interrupted them. 

"Can't be." Caitlin said, leaning in to get a better look.

"How is that possible? It blew up." Joe said, leaning over the other side of the desk to look.

"It had to have been rebuilt." Cisco said, perplexed as to what was happening.

But Barry figured it out, his head lifting up, "Wells."

"Even if he did rebuild it, how did Dr. Wells even turn the particle accelerator on?" Caitlin asked.

Barry's face contorting to one of realisation, he announced, "He's here. That's why we couldn't find him. He's been inside Star Labs the whole time."

Joe moved to grab his gun from underneath his coat, his strides long as he left the room with Barry right behind him.

"You stay here." Cisco told Caitlin, who nodded her head in response. Cisco was about to leave but quickly turned back around and grabbed his drink before making his way out.

He raced after the two, with Caitlin left alone to monitor everything happening from the cortex.

Typing away, Caitlin didn't notice the footsteps behind her until it was too late. A hand was placed on her shoulder, causing her to jump, spin around, and wave her arms in the air for protection.

"Woah, slow down, Cait. It's just me." Danny said, becoming visible, "I was practicing my sneaking skills."

Placing a hand over her heart, Caitlin breathed heavily, "You scared the bejesus out of me."

"Sorry." Danny shrugged sheepishly. From behind her, he noticed some movement on one of the monitors showing security footage of the particle accelerator, "What's going on there?"

Caitlin glanced at it to see Barry racing away, realising that they must've been in trouble. "Let me quickly check it out."

She ran off, making her way there. She never said Danny couldn't come with her, so he went after her, keeping his footsteps slow and as quiet as he could manage. 

Once they'd finally made their way near the mouth of the particle accelerator ring, Danny watched Caitlin turn around and run towards the elevators, her eyes wide.

Before anyone could see him, he turned himself invisible. He was just in time too, changing right before a woman appeared and poofed away from view in little time, chasing after Caitlin. 

He followed, needing to make sure Caitlin would be all right. Making his way down the curve of the hallway, he heard Caitlin let out a grunt of pain, a thud on the floor not long after.

"Do you have any idea what it's like to be stuck in that..." The woman paused, swiftly kicking Caitlin a few feet away. "Box?"

Danny clenched his fist, attempting to maintain his focus as he helplessly watched Caitlin become pinned against the wall, the meta-escapee placing a firm boot over the doctor's neck.