Chapter 26

A Few Days Later...

Winnie was sitting on the couch reading Mockingjay, the last book of The Hunger Games series, for the third time.

Across from her, Joe was busy writing up a storm on one of his favourite chairs.

"You've already read that book hundreds of times." He noted, glancing up from his papers.

"Yes but, I'm going to try to finish it this time. That way, I can be prepared for when Part 2 of the movie comes out." Winnie insisted, taking a peek at her father. She knew full well that she was not going to.

He shook his head, "I still don't get why you get near the end and just stop, don't you want to find out what happens?"

"Because of a few reasons. One, is that I don't know what I'd do with myself when it's done. The second is because somebody spoiled the fact that Finnick will die! I love him... I mean, his character, of course. So, if I don't read the chapter they said he died in then, in my head, he will have never died." Winnie said, trying to explain the logic behind her choices. "Now that I think about it, I'm still not ready for it."

"But, wouldn't the movie include his death?" Joe asked, completely perplexed as to why his daughter had to make things so complicated.

"Probably but, I will make sure I have a watching buddy and when the part comes I will close my eyes and cover my ears. Then, they can tell me when it's over and I'll just pretend that he's off on vacation somewhere nice with his wife, Annie." Winnie said smiling at her well thought out plan.

"Alright..." Joe said. Just then, Barry came zooming down the stairs, a new outfit on.

"Seriously, Bare. That's... the twentieth outfit you've come down with." Winnie complained, turning her attention back to her book. Without looking up, she added, "Besides, you look amazing in every single one you've tried on. Just pick one."

Joe silently gave Barry a thumbs up, both hoping that Barry would just choose one and go on his date.

Instead, Barry shook his head and quickly changed from a grey vest and tie to a crisp white collared shirt and a black jacket, keeping the tie.

Joe didn't even bother taking a look at Barry's latest choice as he coldly told him, "If you change one more time, I'm gonna shoot you."

Winnie failed to stifle a laugh as she imagined the scenario, distracting her from her reading. 

At the sound, Barry grinned, he hadn't heard Winnie laugh, let alone crack a smile in what felt like forever. 

"I'm just gonna go. Bye Joe. Bye Winn." He said as he raced off into the early evening.

Letting out a heavy sigh, Winnie shifted her position on the couch, her mind wandering to Barry's big date. She didn't want to feel jealous nor having any dislike towards Linda, who seemed very nice. But, it was a feeling that couldn't be helped as Winnie kept squirming out of discomfort.

Joe looked up from his work and pointedly stared at Winnie, keying in on her distress "Is this about the date?"

Turning, Winnie tried to avoid Joe's gaze but, eventually gave in. "No, maybe... yes. I mean, I've tried to be okay with it, I'm actually doing a lot better than when I first found out. But, I-I can't help it. I can't stop wishing that I could be Linda. That the reason why Barry can't decide which he wants outfit to wear is because of me." 

She placed her book like a canopy over her stomach, attempting to save her page as she sat up a little higher. "It sounds so selfish but, I-I want the butterflies in my stomach to be something good rather than something to be ignored. I... I want him to see me as something more than a friend."