chapter thirty four

thirty four
"i like you"

—

"EVAN?"

THE NEXT TIME LYNN had woken up was nearly five hours later, finally feeling a bit more better compared to when she had first awoken. This time, however, Buck was no longer in his uniform table hospital chair and was no where to be seen.

It's not like Lynn expected the boy to never leave her side the entire time she was here, but a certain sadness crossed her face as she recognized she was completely by herself.

Lynn took this time to let a loud sigh escape her lips, and she gazed back up towards the blank white ceiling as the same thoughts as always crept into her head.

How come Lynn couldn't let the words fall from her mouth? That she liked Buck, and there was no arguing against it. Even when she was on her death bed she couldn't mutter the words, and she hated the fact she couldn't just accept it.

"Hello, Evelynn, would you like to go for a walk?"

Lynn immediately snapped her distracted glance and busied thoughts as she moved her blue eyes over towards the sliding door to her small hospital room. She saw a young blonde woman, who was wearing a blue nurses outfit, and had a clipboard neatly tucked under her arm.

"Doctor said it'd be good for you," the blonde explained, flashing a polite smile towards Lynn as she entered her room. "How are you feeling?"

"Good, considering less than a week ago I had a metal bar in my stomach," Lynn cracked the joke, and it made her chuckle when she saw the nurse was trying desperately to hide her laughter as well. "A walk sounds nice, actually."

"Great, let me just work around these wires," the nurse replied, taking a few seconds to rearrange the many lines that were attached to Lynn's right arm. She then attached them from the machine sitting next to her bed, and placed them onto a moving iv rack instead. "There, you're all set. But if you feel the slightest bit upset, just immediately come back to your room and call for a nurse."

   Lynn nodded while understanding everything the nurse had explained, and slowly shifted her legs to hang off the bed. Just as soon as her feet touched the cold flooring, she jerked away, but after spying a pair of comfortable house shoes, she slid her feet into them and stepped her weight on the ground.

   Lynn gripped the silver rack when her weight seemingly felt too heavy, but after a second of readjusting, she straightened her back as best as she could.