chapter ten

ten
"no. effing. way."

—

"GOD, I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY."

Lynn closely followed behind Bobby and Buck as they stomped over previously precious flowers-where she delicately paraded over them-that were now completely ruined by water; thanks to a van filled to the brim with flowers that hit a fire hydrant and tipped over.

"Wow, I'd think Mr. Buckley would love Valentine's Day, all the single ladies with broken hearts," Lynn teased, her tone of voice was easily spotted with sarcasm. "I mean, Evan, have you ever actually had a girlfriend on V-Day, and not just a one-night stand?"

Buck turned over his shoulder to give the girl a fake hurt expression, placing a hand i've this chest with drama. Lynn then rose her helmet up a bit, mostly because it was still too big for her small head and it would fall sometimes in her vision, which she knew she really needed to fix.

"Everywhere you look, it's perfume ads, candy ads, jewelry ads," Buck continued to complain, swinging the metal pole over his shoulders back and forth. "It is a fake holiday designed by women to make guys feel guilty and go into debt."

"You think it's just women who run the companies that are trying to sell you those things?" Bobby questioned, and he motioned for Lynn to hand him the small metal pipe that was used to go in between the large on Buck was carrying, the tools they needed to lock inside the fire hydrant in order to stop the water.

"Well, they're at least in on it."

"Well, I know plenty of women who don't like Valentine's Day and plenty of guys who love it," Bobby answered, stopping halfway through his sentence due to grunting from locking the hydrant.

"Exactly, like how I hate Valentine's Day," Lynn added, shrugging her shoulders lightly as she once again rose her helmet a bit higher so she could make eye contact with them. "I always curl up on my couch and watch sad romantic movies while eating discounted chocolates. Well, not this year I guess, my sister has this damn date set up for me tonight."

"Wait, you're going on a date?" Buck questioned, and Lynn tried her best to not sound offended. "I didn't know you did those."

"Why yes, Evan, I do in fact go on dates," Lynn retorted, rolling her blue eyes as the water finally stopped spraying from the fire hydrant. "Just because I don't share all my personal events at work doesn't mean they don't happen."

Buck tried his best to put on a regular face, not trying to be surprised by the fact Lynn suggests she goes on dates, with other guys. The words just didn't seem to settle well in his stomach, for some reason.

"Yeah, I guess I'm being forced to go on a V-Day date anyway," Buck stated, and Lynn questioned why just as soon as she mentioned she had a date, he just so happened to have one too. "My friend said this girl is a total babe, but, like, kinda depressed. I owe him a solid, so I guess my job is to make her happy tonight."