chapter six

six
"someone call hr!"

—

"RIGHT HERE, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT here!"

Lynn let out a loud laugh echo throughout the station when she saw how Buck and Hen were arguing like siblings. They were playing this new firefighter game Buck found at a garage sale, but only one person could play at at a time so it was often a fight for the controller.

"Evan, you do realize when I say LEFT you're supposed to turn left?" Lynn whined, pushing the boys shoulder playfully while she tried to grab the controller with the other hand.

"I'm trying!" Buck argued, pulling his body away from Lynn's grasp, but both Hen and Lynn shared an unamused glare as they saw Buck run over not one, not two, but three different people on the sidewalk.

"Jesus, remind me to never get in the truck when you're driving," Lynn stated with wide eyes, letting another round of chuckles leave her system.

"So, you're fleeing the scene?" Hen questioned, mostly because Buck didn't even hesitate to keep driving in the video game as he ran over the poor citizens. "You do realize that you lose points for murdering people on the way to a fire?"

"It should be fine," Buck explained, and then he pointed towards the small black television set. "It's a flesh wound. Obamacare."

"What!? You're making us lose points!" Lynn grumbled, and she had an itch to smack Buck upside the head for losing the valuable points Hen and her had already stacked up.

"Eve! Please..." Buck whined, but Lynn reached over his strong body to grip ahold of the controller in his right hand, but he just moved his slender arm even further away than before. "Someone call HR! No, Eve!"

Lynn grinned in victory when she was finally able to snatch the controller from Buck's grasp, but then her cheeks flushed red when she realized she had basically crawled on Buck's lap to get it. She quickly climbed back onto the couch futons they had moved to be closer to the screen, hoping no one would comment on it.

"Ridic...Chimney!" Hen exclaimed after seeing her friend pop up from the stairs, and then she waved the controller in his face to signal it was his turn. "Here, you're up."

But the man didn't even flinch walking past the three firefighters up to no good playing teenage video games. They all seemed to share a look of concern, or worry, or a mix of both.

So, as their eyes never left her storming man into the kitchen, and they all rose from their comfortable seats on the sofa cushions to follow him into the dining room.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Hen asked the unamused Chimney, who was now rummaging throughout the fridge to grab a cold water. "You okay?"

"Look, Chim, if there's something you want to talk about—"