chapter thirty

thirty
"l.a. fire and rescue!"

—

"WATCH YOUR STEP, GUYS."

LYNN swallowed a deep breath as her eyes landed on a pair of red high heels, only they were hooked on a woman's feet who was buried heavily under the debris that had fallen down in the hotel. Bobby checked the pulse right below the ankle, and shook his head softly after a second.

The rest of the team, excluding Buck and Eddie who were trying to save the man pressed against the glass on the eleventh floor, were all climbing their ways through the main floor of the hotel. It seemed as if most people who were stuck inside the hotel originally had been pulled out, so that meant each of the teams had to go deeper, which meant it would only be harder to get to a safe spot if there was an aftershock.

"L.A. Fire and Rescue!" Lynn hollered, using her spare hand that wasn't holding a medics bag to cup her mouth, making her voice travel further. "Anybody down here?"

"L.A. Fire and Rescue!" Bobby copied Lynn, mostly just like everyone else trying to gain the attention of any potential survivors. And that was when a voice called out through the silence, and everyone called to their captain for the next instructions. "Alright, we got a voice over there, guys. Let's go."

As the crew followed Bobby leading through them the darkness, they ended up running into another firefighter. He had a young woman with him, leaning on his tall body for support. On his other side, was an older looking man struggling to keep up. Instantly, Lynn wrapped an arm under his armpit for support.

"Thanks," the firefighter breathed out, feeling some sort of relief knowing he wouldn't have to carry practically two unconscious bodies.

"Of course," Lynn nodded towards the firefighter, sending him a polite smile as the older man started to lean more dependably on her shoulder. "Cap, I'll meet up with you guys after dropping him off at the safety zone, okay?"

"Alright, be safe, Kennedy," Bobby responded towards his youngest crew member. He then turned towards the young firefighter, and continued. "Anybody else back there?"

"There's a kid maybe fifty feet back, needs EMT's bad."

"Is it a little girl?" Hen questioned, taking a few steps forward so the man would be able to see who was now speaking.

"No, a young African-American kid," the man replied, flashing a sympathetic half-smile. Then, he turned over towards Lynn, who was still steadily holding up the older man. "You ready?"