chapter twelve

twelve
"howl with me!"

—

   "I'M SORRY, YOU'RE SAYING YOU went on a date with Buck?"

   Lynn rolled her bright blue eyes for what seemed like the millionth time today, and she glared daggers towards Hen sitting across from her. The two woman were relaxing in the living rooms, on the somewhat couch. Lynn was curled up with a book on her lap, where Hen was fiddling away on her phone.

   "It wasn't a date," Lynn stated firmly, and then she dramatically flew her arms up to cover her eyes, from Hen, from the light, from everything. "Why does everyone keep saying it's a date?"

   "Oh, I don't know, Lynn," Hen fake pondered for a moment, placing her fingers underneath her chin for amusement. "Maybe because what you just described sounds like the perfect date?"

   "We both said it was a friend thing," Lynn countered, picking her soft covered book and tossing it back on the wooden coffee table in front of her.

   It had been two shifts since the little get together Lynn and Buck shared on Valentines while getting accidentally matched together. The two were awkward at first, which was odd because it was almost always just a fumbling Lynn with a confident Buck, but the tide seemed to take a shift. But, eventually they croaked back to their old ways of teasing and bullying each other, so it was all normal again.

   "Evelynn, be totally honest," Hen replied, placing a supportive hand on Lynn's thigh. "If you had that but with a man you had never met before, and not Buck, wouldn't you have thought it was the best date ever?"

   Lynn opened her pink lips to snarkily reply, but no words seemed to fall from her lips. Hen huffed in achievement, moving back on the arm of the couch with a proud smile. Lynn clasped her mouth back shut, and she almost glanced down her hands on her lap with utter confusion.

   Henrietta was right. Lynn would've thought the amazing night would've been the best date in history, if it had been any other person other than Buck.

   "God, why couldn't it have been any other human being on planet earth?" Lynn whined, stretching her arms out into the air as she laid backwards in the couch.

   Lynn's annoyed attitude and rolled eyes seemingly stopped when Buck slowly made his way up the stairs, and the smallest of smiles stretched onto her face at seeing his contagious one. But before anybody could notice, she quickly composed herself.

   "Hey, yo, Evie, you wanna head down to the carnival with me?" Buck questioned, and Lynn confusingly at the boy, curiosity bubbling in her eyes.

   "You do realize we're on shift right now," Lynn pointed out, glancing over to Hen while the two women let out small laughs.

   "Cap said he wanted two of us down there with the whole, you know, divide and conquer quest on our full moon shift," Buck grinned, and Lynn had no idea why he enjoyed working the full moon shifts, even though he had only worked one previously.