chapter three

three
"it's on you!"

—

"GUYS, THAT PIPE SERVICES A quarter of the toilets above us, that's gonna be messy."

Lynn glanced over to Hen, who was standing right beside the brunette, as they watched Chimney, Bobby, and Buck all start tearing down the yellow wall, along with the white tiles. They had previously removed the toilet, so it wouldn't be in the way.

"Oh, shoot," Hen continued, and Lynn narrowed her eyes a bit in confusion. "Which means, even with the water off, if somebody flushes a toilet above us, it could drown the baby."

Lynn's pink lips parted a bit into a gasp, and then both Hen and her made eye contact. Hen signaled towards the door, and almost immediately, both paramedics dropped their bags as they darted out of the bathroom, and then into the hallway.

Within seconds, they were already on the fifth floor's stairway. They were hollering and yelling about how no one can flush their toilets, repeating the same thing over and over again so the residents of the apartment knew damn well not to use their bathrooms.

"Hey, Hen. How's your day going?"

Lynn gazed up from being completely concentrated on the small stairs, making sure she didn't trip and fall and embarrass herself in front of her new coworker.

Her eyes fell on an older African American woman, who was dressed nicely in a similar uniform to Lynn's. However, she could easily spot the police badge on the woman's chest. She looked fierce, and strong, and Lynn sure as hell hoped she wouldn't end up on her wrong side.

"Athena, peachy," Hen replied sarcastically, and then she pointed towards Lynn, who had stopped on the stairway to make eye contact with the police officer. "This is Evelynn, our new recruit. Lynn, this is Sergeant Athena, she's usually at some of our scenes."

"Hi, ma'am," Lynn smiled politely, and she was mentally scolding herself for saying ma'am. It seemed like no one liked being called ma'am or sir unless it was the academy, apparently.

"Call me Athena," the woman replied swiftly, and Lynn almost wanted to let a breath of relief flush from her system. "Ma'am makes me sound old."

Lynn let out a laugh, a bit more relaxed since the woman, Athena, seemed to be more lighthearted than her previous stern expression. Then, seemingly at the same time, Lynn and Hen realized they should probably be heading back down to the apartment. Hopefully, the guys had already taken out the frail baby from the pipeline.

By the time Hen and Lynn made it back to the destroyed bathroom, they both gasped at the sight. There, laying on a makeshift wooden table, was a small piece of a black pipe. But it was what was inside that made them wide eyed, the fact that there was actually a baby stuck inside of it.