chapter thirteen

thirteen
"the salabhasana"

—

"HEY. SHE'S THIS WAY."

BUCK, Bobby, and Lynn all quickly shuffled out of the silver elevator to follow a young, good looking woman down the hallway. They had received a call that a pregnant woman was in agonizing pain, during a bad move in a yoga class. So, Bobby had said he'd meet the two paramedics down at the address.

"Jackie's six months pregnant," the woman explained, turning around to glance at the paramedics, but her eyes seemed to linger on Buck. "Uh, she's new. This class is only open to moms who are at least twenty-six weeks. I warn them about overexerting themselves."

The paramedics all gripped their medic bags, and softly gasped as the woman swung open the black doors. 

"And behold, the Salabhasana."

Lynn rose her eyebrow as she stared down a woman who seemed to be stuck in some sort of yoga pose that had her leg raised high above her waist.

"God, I can hardly do yoga as it is, how do women do it when their pregnant?" Lynn questioned, but it was more towards herself than actually asking anyone for their opinion.

"Yeah, Locust Pose," Buck stated, and both Bobby and Lynn glanced over their shoulders to give the boy a weird look. "I've dated, like, fifty yoga instructors."

"Can you guys please clear out so we can get in there," Bobby spoke up, rushing a bit to move towards the woman in pain, quickly followed by the younger paramedics.

After Lynn had pushed back all the pregnant women out of the way, she saw Buck check her heartbeats while Bobby was checking on the baby.

"Ma'am, can you tell me where you're feeling the pain?" Lynn asked, bending down on both of her knees to try to make eye contact with the soon to be mother. "Is it mostly in your back, your arms, your legs?"

"Arms and legs," the woman replied dramatically, sucking in deeply as another round of pain must've shot throughout her body. "But i-it's the worst in my butt and down my thigh and calf."

"Okay, I think you slipped a disc," Bobby stated, and then he pointedly glanced over to Buck and Lynn. "We're gonna need to get
her on her side, okay? Very carefully support her head. Let's go this way towards you guys, okay? Very gently."

Seemingly just as soon as the paramedics softly placed the misplaced disc woman, another scream rang throughout the small apartment. When they all gazed up instinctively, they were met with a woman piling on her side while clutching her stomach.

"Alright, I'm gonna take care of that," Bobby indicted, and then he waved his index finger towards the woman with the disc. "You take care of her."