chapter eighteen

eighteen
"the past"

—

"GOD, IS THIS GUY GONNA give it up?"

It was a nice evening so far, and it was even more fun, because Lynn was happily teasing Lizzy about a good looking man who kept flirting with her, even when she said she had a boyfriend. He was resilient, no doubt.

Earlier, Lynn and Lizzy took a small table in the back where Bobby, Athena, Hen, and Karen had already placed their purses or coats. Dinner was served shortly later, where they either had a choice of filleted fish with a side salad, or a grilled steak matched with a choice of soup. It was delicious, either way, while everyone chewed their food or sipped their champagne.

"Maybe just give him one dance and he'll stop," Lynn joked, letting that same smirk from earlier reappear on her face.

"I mean, I do wanna dance," Lizzy shrugged lightly while her eyes scanned the man standing a few yards away from her. "I'll see you later, Evelynn."

Lynn rolled her eyes while letting out a chuckle or two, watching her older sister as she rose up from her seat and made her way over to that same charming, young man. She knew Lizzy would never in a million years cheat on Joe, but she is a big fan of dancing, especially slow dancing.

Lynn let out the smallest of sighs as she glanced back down to her glass, and her red painted nails trailed the circle of the glass of alcohol.

"Bored all by your lonesome?"

Lynn glanced up from fiddling with the champagne towards the man who spoke up, and she flashed a half-smile towards Buck as he sat down in the seat Lizzy previously had.

"Well, you know Liz, makes friends five minutes with a new crowd," Lynn stated, and she almost sounded annoyed, but she wasn't sure why. Her eyes switched from Buck's to search the crowd, and she saw Lizzy chatting with two other men on the dancing floor. "Sorry, that came out wrong, she's just a people's person. Me? Not so much."

"Oh, c'mon, you're telling me you don't love people?" Buck fake gasped, placing a hand on his chest for dramatic appearances.

Lynn scrunched up her nose towards Buck teasingly, sticking her tongue out at the boy as she placed her elbows on the table while placing her chin on her palms.

A slow song started echoing over the speakers, and the two seemed to scan the crowd as everyone formed less of groups, and into pairs. Lynn glanced back down to the white sheeted table, feeling quite awkward and almost having flashbacks to high school dances and awkward boys.

Buck rose from his seat, and Lynn rose her eyebrow towards the boy as he untucked his hands from his pockets. He lent out his hand in front of Lynn's face, and she almost let out a scoff in surprise.