chapter 44: friends?

*Sophie POV*

I pull my hood over my face. After the dance, I've been avoiding Keefe. I don't know whether we're friends, or if we're dating. I mean, he implied that he liked me, but the words never actually came out of his mouth! 

I'm in an awkward state of confusion. 

"Ouch, watch where you're going, Sophie," Stina snarls. "You're ugly, by the way."

"You think you need to tell me? I have mirrors in my house you know," I walk away, leaving everyone in shock. "Also, you used that one already!" I call out behind me.

I see Keefe coming down the hall, seemingly looking for something, and I bolt into the bathroom. 

I can't let him see me. 

If he doesn't like me, I've completely ruined any chance of staying his friend. 

I stalk to the door, just in time to see him turn the corner. Making sure the coast is clear, I rush to my class down the hall. 

"Avoiding someone?" someone says from behind me. I turn slowly. 

Keefe.

*Keefe POV*

*Keefe POV*

"No, dad, I got a ninety-nine," I sigh and pack my bag. 

"Ninety- nine!!!!!" dad cries. "Keefe Cassius Sencen, that isn't going to get you into Harvard."

"How do you know I want to go to Harvard!"

"You're going to Harvard, and that's final." 

I walk down the stairs, and head out the door.

"Where are you going?"

"To school. Can't really go to Harvard with bad attendance," I smirk and slam the door.

"Get in the car, loser," Ro rolls down the window of my ride.

"Hunkyhair. We've had this conversation before."

"Whatever. Anyways, how's your girly friend," Ro gives me a smug look through the rear view mirror. 

"She's not my girlfriend," I lean against the window. 

"Really? I guess I just assumed once you kiss someone, you become girlfriend and boyfriend."

"We didn't even kiss."

"On the lips. But you did confess your love to her. Though, I doubt she'll pick up on it."

"She said she liked me, and I said I've been waiting for those words for a while."

"Oh yeah, she's not going to get it. For such a smart girl, she really has no idea..."

"Yeah. She scored higher than me on midterms. She tied with Fitzy."

Ro raises an eyebrow, "she tied Wonderboy? Well I can't say I'm not surprised."

"I know."

"Back on your love life," I groan. "You should ask her out. You're obviously madly in love with her, and she obviously is madly in love with you, so, nothing to lose."

"My pride. My best friend. I have a lot to lose."

"If, she says no. She won't."

"How can you be so sure?" I ask as we pull up to the school. 

"I know things. Bye, Funkyhair," she says as I open the door. 

"Ro and Bo, Ro and Bo!" I chant. She puts up the middle finger and speeds off.

I run into the school. "Now all I have to do is find Foster," I say, staring down the packed hall. 

Fat chance.

"Avoiding someone?" I ask

"Keefe!" she laughs nervously, "didn't expect to see you here! Anyways, gotta go!" she tries to walk off, but I grab her hand.

"You're not going anywhere until you answer my question."

"Isn't it obvious?"

"You don't pick up on a lot of obvious things," I reply.

"Not true," she crosses her arms over her chest. "And yes, I was avoiding you. But, I have to get to class now, bye!" she tries to leave again.

"Why, Foster?"

"Cause it's awkward now! I'm pretty sure I just lost you as my best friend!"

"Why would I not be your friend anymore?"

"Cause I told you I like you!" she yells. "Don't you understand?"

"I do. So I'll ask you this, Foster: will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes!" she jumps into my arms, and I lift her up.

"Thank you," I beam and set her down.

"No problem, boyfriend," she winks.

"You got it, girlfriend," I smirk back. We laugh, and walk to class hand and hand, (despite the fact that we don't even have the same homeroom).

"Yeah, let's not call each other that," Foster says, shaking her head.

"That would be wise," I turn the knob on my class's door, "Team Foster-Keefe is official, then?"

"Yes, Keefe. Bye, boyfriend," she hugs me.

"I thought you said we wouldn't do that!"

She laughs, and heads down the hall, waving back to me.

"Later, loser."

"Later, Foster." I do a little victory dance before going inside. "I did it, Foster loves me, I did it! I'm dating Foster..."