chapter 43: dance with me, foster

*Sophie POV*

I take a deep breath and answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey," *cough, cough*, "it's Jens-"  *cough, cough*, "go with Keefe. You don't like me that way," *cough, cough*, "go with Keefe."

"Jensi! Are you okay? I'll come over, hold on!"

"No! I just have a little cough. Go with Keefe. Trust me, you won't regret it..." 

I step into the crowded gym with my red suit on, hair down, and my shiny creme flats strapped on

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I step into the crowded gym with my red suit on, hair down, and my shiny creme flats strapped on. All four of us grab each other's hands, and step onto the dance floor. 

"Oh my gods, I love this song!" Linh starts jumping around. "Something big I feel it happening..."

"How do people dance in high heels?" I ask, mimicking the tune of the song.

"Because, we are super goated!" Biana answers.

"Goated? You've got to be kidding me."

"Out of my control!" Linh screams.

I shake my head, and start dancing with my crazy friends. 

"OH OHOH OH!!!!" Marella waves her arms back and forth like she's in concert. Dex sneaks up behind Linh.

"Hey guys!" 

"Ahh! Oh, hey! Oh, this is a good one! I'm feeling 22!" 

We all jump around some more, the boys coming over and joining us. 

"Hey Foster," Keefe says, out of breath. "Where's Jensi?" 

"He's sick," I look at him. "I like the tie!"

"And I like your outfit. Leave it to Foster to wear a suit to a school dance," he chuckles. "So, Jensi's not here..."

"Smooth, Keefe," Biana interrupts. "Just ask her for a dance and confess your undying love for her."

"What? You're crazy," I blush, "and Jensi is not here."

"Okay... you sound less disappointed than one would expect," Keefe says skeptically.

"I said yes to be nice, Keefe."

"You did?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course I did. I don't like Jensi that way."

"Interesting. You totally figured that out from Biana, right?"

"Totally." I grab his hand and drag him over to the windows surrounding the small gym and point to one of the paintings. "Linh did that, you know," he looks back at her, who's dancing with Dex. 

"It's good. I'm glad Dexter found a match," Keefe smirks and looks at Tam and Biana, who are kissing in the corner, "Bangs Boy has a girl too."

I laugh, "will you ever stop calling him that?"

"Probably not."

The lights in the gym go down, and Keefe holds his hand out to me.

"May I have this dance?" I blush and take his hand. 

"Lead the way, sir."

"Aye, Captain," Keefe puts an arm around my waist and drapes his other on my shoulder. I rest my hands on each of his shoulders, and he starts stepping and sliding.

"I walked into the room and I then I saw your face..." we sway to the music. "You looked me in the eye, I wanted to erase myself, myself..."

I step on his toe and he winces. "Sorry," I whisper, my cheeks flaming.

"No problem," he moves closer.

"You said hey, and I said hello, what's your name? I'd really like to know... about you, too bad I stopped at hello. I just stared, and you grinned, and looked right back. It felt like just one big whirlwind, one big whirlwind..."

He moves his other hand to my waist, and I put my arms around his neck lazily.

"You were witty and so charming, swept me off my feet. You made me laugh, you made me blush. Oh no one could compete (no one could compete!)"

I look at him to find his eyes piercing into mine. He opens his mouth to speak,

"You know, you look really good tonight," he says softly, making me blush. 

I take a moment to respond, "same to you," I laugh. 

"Seriously Foster. You look really good."

"Uh huh."

"Attitude!" he chuckles.

"And those eyes, they drew me in, it was too late for me (late for her). That's what we were, a simple cliche..."

"I really like you," I look away, embarrassed by my outburst. "I mean, if you don't feel the same way-"

He turns my head so that I'm facing him again. "I've been dreaming of those words for a while..."

"Really?"

"Since I ran into you in the hall," he rests his chin on my head, and I bury my face into his chest.

"I could say the same about you."

"Swept me off my feet..." the music plays.

"Can I kiss you?" Keefe asks out of nowhere.

"I- I'm not ready," I stammer. 

"Okay." We sway to the music again. 

"Bah duh dum... that's okay... we're just a little cliché... duh dah dum, and that's okay!"

I back away from Keefe so the he can see my face. He leans closer and presses his lips gently against the top of my forehead.

"Is that alright?"

"That was perfect."

And we keep dancing.

Okay, but like why did Jensi's phone call with Sophie feel like a death scene? (he's not dead, by the way).

Anyway, hope you liked it! Homestretch people!