chapter 42: messed up promposal

*Keefe POV*

"He asked me so romantically!" a shrill voice rings through the hall and ends at Stina's locker. Maruca. "But of course he did, I'm one in a million!"

"You mean there are seven thousand- one hundred people just like you?" Oh no, Skylar. That girl can't resist throwing insults. But at least it's entertaining. "Nobody gives a crap, Maruca."

"Well you cared enough to mention it!" Maruca snaps back.

"No, I don't. I just had to point that out. You should have seen the look on your face," Skylar laughs to herself, "priceless, man, priceless..."

"Shut up! I don't listen to nerds!"

"Really, 'cause you listened enough to respond. I think that proves you're interested," Skylar leans against the lockers, resting her foot on the lower vent and shuffling her cards.

"You little devil child!" Maruca bellows. Dang, that girl's got lungs.

"If I had a dollar for everytime someone called me that..." she stands straight up again. "Anyways, gotta dip, have fun dating a player! Later dude," she salutes her and walks leisurely off, still shuffling those dang cards.

"Well that was fun," I say to Foster, who was watching the whole exchange with me. "Anyways... why do seagulls fly over the sea?" 

"Keefe, enough with the dad jokes."

"C'mom Foster, answer," I plead.

"Fine," she scoffs. "Why?"

"Because if-" 

"Hi Sophie," a shy voice interrupts my joke.

"Oh! Hi Jensi!"

"Umm... I was just wondering if-f y-y-yo-you m-mi-migh-might want to go to- uh, prom with me?" he looks away and thrusts a bouquet of roses in Foster's face.

"Umm, you see Jensi... uh, I was hoping that someone else would ask me," she pauses and my heart starts to race. Could she be talking about me? "But that was just wishful thinking. You've been so great to me. I owe it to you," she hugs him and accepts the roses.

Words have never hurt so bad. But now I know why they say actions speak louder.

 But now I know why they say actions speak louder

*Sophie POV*

"Linh Song, calling," the automated voice on my phone announces. I pick it up and join the call, which includes Biana. 

"Hey," 

"Hi!" Linh chirps, "I have some really good news!" Biana and I make faces of anticipation. "Wait for it... wait for it..." she does a drumroll, "Dex asked me out!"

"Oh my gosh, he did? He's been talking about it for a while, but I never thought he'd do it! How did he ask?"

"He got me some roses and asked me. It was simple, but so sweet!"

"Congrats, girl!"

"Thanks!" Linh calms back down, and Biana starts talking.

"Tam asked me out, too!" 

"You guys are literally dating!" I state.

"Did Keefe finally ask you out?" Biana asks excitedly.

"No! Why would he?"

Biana and Linh slap their foreheads. "I've never been more disappointed in you."

"Same."

"What? Jensi asked me out, though."

"Don't tell me you said yes."

"I did!" 

"Why? He's sweet and all, but..." Linh trails off.

"What? He's nice, and I owe it to him," I protest.

"Yeah, but that's all he is in terms of you."

"Well, yeah... I just messed up, didn't I?"

"Yep."

"Totally."

"Couldn't be me."

"Very nice, guys," but they can't help but make me smile. We hang up, and I head downstairs to sulk. I like Keefe, but he wasn't going to ask me, so what's the point?

I was bummed, and confused, to say the least.

"Who was it?" Grady asks, walking towards me with a bat. 

"Was it Keefe?" Dex appears beside him, holding a crowbar. 

"No, it wasn't Keefe," I say, holding my head in my hands. "Actually, it kind of was."

"Knew it," Dex and Grady head in the direction of the door. "What did he do?" Grady demands.

I stand up to stop them. "It's not what he did..." I look away to hide my undoubtedly forlorn expression. "It's what he didn't do..."

"Don't tell me... you like THAT BOY!" Dex and Grady yell in unison.

"How are you guys so alike?" I hold my head in my hand, trying to avoid the question.

"This is why you're my favorite," Grady whispers to Dex.

"Hey! I heard that!"