alternate ending pt.2

(not edited and fashionably late)

Sophie tugged at an eyelash as she approached the exhibit. Suddenly, she felt sixteen again; exhilarated and nervous with flushed cheeks and sweaty palms, anxiously preparing to approach her crush. Inhaling deeply, she walked towards the podium where visitors could inspect the artwork. Sophie kept her eyes on the painting in front of her, and for the first time she realized what it was.

Her step faltered.

Just a few meters away was an 8x6 oil painting of her. And all Sophie could do was stare.

It wasn't explicitly her, but Sophie could recognize the moment anytime.

It would've been her first kiss.

In the background, a faint Christmas tree stood, next to a barely appreciable snowy window. The colors were muted and soft, and the background took careful observation to understand. In the foreground were two figures, one Sophie, and the other a blurred silhouette in a light beige color, extending a hand to her cheek. But the most remarkable part of the painting, the part Sophie's gaze was encapsulated by, were her eyes. Bright, perfectly colored, and unmistakable.

"What does this painting mean to you, Mr. Sencen?" an important looking man in a black suit asked, breaking Sophie from her thoughts.

"Umm..." Sophie craned her neck towards the ground, trying to avoid his gaze, and his answer. "Well, it's very important to me," Sophie had never heard him so unsure of himself. "And, um..." his voice trailed off.

"Clearly it's about someone specific," the man urged, "can you tell us more about that? Her eyes seem to be the true centerpiece of the painting."

He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand nervously, a grimace contorting his perfect features. "I don't want to get in specifics without her permission," he explained.

"Then keep it vague, give us the gist of it," the man encouraged, tapping his pen against his clipboard with an increased cadence.

"Honestly?" he paused, as if re-evaluating what he was about to say. "She was my best friend."

Best friend? Sophie asked herself indignantly.

The man raised his eyebrows, as if unsatisfied with his answer.

"I loved her, more than anything," he continued.

"Did you love her, or were you in love with her?" the man pressed, emphasizing the 'in'.

He hesitated for a moment, and Sophie's mind went haywire with anticipation.

Did you only love me? Or were you in love with me? she echoed internally, awaiting his all too important response.

"I don't kn-" he glanced around as he spoke, as if looking for an escape. It proved to be a mistake.

Because he locked eyes with the girl in question.

...

Keefe hadn't spoken to or seen Sophie in three years, other than the scenarios he imagined in his head and the memories that seemed to be perpetually on repeat. So, one could understand his surprise when he saw her standing no more than two meters from him as he fumbled to answer the interviewer's inquiries.

There she was.

The face Keefe had longed to see, the eyes Keefe had yearned to make eye contact with, the girl Keefe had pined for since they met.

His jaw dropped, against his knowledge and better judgement, and he tried to look away. But he couldn't tear his gaze from her.

"Mr. Sencen?" the interviewer asked impatiently. Finally, Keefe broke his stare, and returned to the question.