chapter one: a fresh start

I pull my hood further over my face and try to navigate through the crowd. After five years of random foster homes and orphanages, I finally found a home. Edaline and Grady Ruewen chose to adopt me, so I was enrolled in Foxfire. The most elite academy in California. I turn left and bump into a cold, hard, metal surface. I pull my hood up an inch.

I just slammed into my own locker. What a loser. 

I fumble with the lock a little and throw open the door. Grabbing my books hastily, I glance at my schedule. 

First Period: Homeroom with Dr. Tiergan, Room 5.

"Doctor?" I mutter. "Hopefully no shots." I walk towards Room 5, which is, by pure luck, right next to my locker. 

"Ahh, Miss Foster, fancy seeing you here," a tall, handsome man announces. I blush slightly, and head to the empty seat in the front of the classroom. I arrange my books in a very specific pattern, (in order of usage) and lean back into my chair. Suddenly, someone taps my shoulder. I turn to see a petite, blond girl, with small braids scattered across her hair. 

"Hi!" she exclaims, "I'm Marella, captain of the Debate Team. You must be new here. Don't worry, I'll be your friend." She twirls one of her braids around her finger. "There is a lot you need to know about this place."

"So this," Marella points to the double doors, "is the cafeteria. This is where most of the drama happens. Food fights happen weekly, and there is always some relationship scandal. Everyone wants attention here," she struts off down the hallway. "It's kind of rom-com worthy," she says, without turning back. 

"Rom-com worthy, what do you mean by-" I slam into someone, and my books fly everywhere. I start to fall when a hand catches me. I am lifted up by this mysterious person, and find myself staring into the most brilliant pair of ice blue eyes.