chapter 32: snow time!

*Sophie POV*

There's a thumping at my window. Pausing my reading, I walk over and open the blinds.

And what do I see?

Keefe Sencen throwing snowballs at me.

I open the window and holler, "you little delinquent!" I can see his smirk from here. 

"Come down here, it's snowing!" 

What?!?!!

"What the heck is it doing snowing in December! Especially December first! We live in California, oh my gosh..."

"Come on, Foster, stop with the logic, and come down! We can go to the Vacker's and play BaseQuest!"

"BaseQuest?"

"It's like capture the flag!"

"Uh, sure!" I close the window and hurry to get warm clothes on. I haven't been in the snow in forever! I pull on a sweater over my shirt, and put on my leather- fleece leggings, topping it all off with some fuzzy socks and a huge coat. I rush to the basement to get my snowshoes.

"Where do you think you're going?" Grady asks as I'm about to head outside. 

"Outside..." I say suspiciously.

"And who are you going outside with?"

"No one," I reply slowly. 

You think a grown man would have known he asked the wrong question.

"You sure?"

"I'm not going outside with anyone, but I will be going to the Vacker's to play BaseQuest."

"Fine. Don't injure yourself!" Grady calls out to me as I slide across the ice. 

"I won't!" and right on cue, I stumble. Luckily, I manage to save myself.

"Falling for me already?" I look up to see Keefe walking towards me, "took longer than expected, but it was bound to happen," he smirks. 

"You little devil child," I storm over to him and point a finger at his face, "where were you?"

"You were taking too long, so I got hot chocolate at Everglen," he says smugly. 

"Can I have a sip?" I ask excitedly. 

"Sure," he holds the cup out to me but when I reach for it he pulls it away.

"What the heck?" I reach for it again, and this time he holds it over his head. "Keefe!"

I jump up for it, and he brings it down. I reach for it, but he moves it. I try to fake him out, but he puts the cup behind his back and...

Yeah, I'm not getting any.

"Keefe, please!" I plead.

"On your knees already? I thought that was my thing," he moves switches it to his other hand. 

"Come on! Just give me the cup!"

"You want it? Okay fine," he lowers the cup. I look at him skeptically. "On one condition," he pulls it back sharply as I try to grab it.

Here we go.

"I'll give you the hot coco if you give me a... drumroll please..." he sets the cup down and starts doing a drumroll, "kiss!" he puckers his lips.

"As if," I say defensively. But I can't help my cheeks getting red as I crouch down to get the cup that's sitting on the now pressed down snow. 

"Whatcha doing?"

"Winning!" I stand up quickly and take a rushed sip out of the cup. "Victory is mi-" all of a sudden Keefe grabs the cup away from me again. I gape at him, but then quickly regain my composure. "Joke's on you! I only wanted one sip!"

Keefe raises his eyebrows at me. "Here you go," he gives me the cup. "Consider it a gift," I take it and start drinking like an animal, and he smiles. "Merry Christmas, Foster."

"But it's only the first of December," I say, my mouth full of the drink.

"Everyday's a holiday when you're with me," he smirks and wraps his arm around we. "A Foster- Keefe Christmas. How does that sound?"

"Brilliant." 

And we walk arm in arm down the snow blanketed street, having the time of our lives.