chapter 41: 2020

*Sophie POV*

"Yeah!!! 2020 here we come! New decade!" Keefe high fives all of us. 

"Yep! One more hour and we'll all be in a new decade!" Biana cheers. We're all at the Vacker's, and even though the families couldn't make it, we all could. 

Linh goes to the window and moves the curtain. "I can't wait!"

"Something bad's gonna happen," Tam says ominously.

"Oh my gods, Tam, settle down, geez."

"Just saying."

"Fifty- nine minutes left!" Marella says.

"You don't need to say that every minute," Dex sighs. 

"It's fun!"

"For you."

"Resolutions?" Biana suggests. 

"Sure!" we all reply. 

"I'll go first," Fitz volunteers. "I want to be less stubborn."

"I want to be more outgoing," Linh says quietly. 

"I want to be a better sibling," is Dex's response.

"I am going to be more responsible."

"I'm gonna win the national debate title. And I want to be more trustworthy," Marella adds. 

"I want to do a concert with my band, and sell at least one hundred tickets."

"I want to open up more," Keefe whispers.

"I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. If you really wanted to make a change in your life, you wouldn't wait for an arbitrary date to do it."

*okay, I know that's an INTJ thing, but bear with me*

"Come on, there's got to be something."

I think for a second. "I guess I could open up more too."

"Anything you want to share?" Keefe asks.

"I guess." I suck in a breath and reposition myself on the couch. "You guys know I'm adopted, but you don't know what happened to my parents," I begin. "So I think it's time to tell you."

I tell them everything, from getting home that day and having a fight with Amy, not saying hello to my mom, and never seeing my dad before he burned alive. I tell about the last conversation with my mom, and the flames engulfing the house as I stood hopelessly outside, tears running down my face. 

Now everyone's crying. I finish my story with, "and now I'm here." All of a sudden, I feel someone's arms wrap around me. It's Keefe.

"And we're all glad you are. I'm sorry."

I embrace him back, and after a minute, everyone joins. Even Tam. 

"Guys, you shouldn't have to see me like this," I sniffle. "I'm sorry, this is supposed to be a good time, but I ruined it," I wipe my eyes.

"Just because it's sad doesn't make it a bad experience." Biana rubs my back and Linh sits down next to me.

"I can't believe I didn't know..." Dex's voice fades.

"I'm sorry about the time I yelled at you," Tam steps forward. "I just assumed I had it the worst."

"It's okay! You guys are the best friends ever, no matter what," I hug Marella, who brought up a platter of Mallowmelt. 

"Thanks, Sophie, but I'm not sure we deserve it," Fitz gestures to himself, and the rest of the group nods. "We've never really helped you. You're the one doing things for us."

"I was selfish that day. And I need to make it up to them," I say, determined. 

"Oh my gosh, ten seconds!" Marella screams, and everyone puts on their 2020 glasses. 

"TEN, NINE, EIGHT!" Tam and Biana separate from the group. 

"SEVEN, SIX, FIVE!" the rest of us scream in anticipation.

"FOUR!" Keefe gets out a confetti popper and Linh a birthday hat.

"THREE, TWO, ONE!" 

Lots of things happen in this time. 

Linh throws her hat in the air, Keefe pops confetti, Tam and Biana are no doubt making out in the corner, Fitz and Dex cheer, and Marella breaks her 2020 glasses in half. 

"Happy New Year, Foster," Keefe hugs me after doing a celebration dance.

"Happy New Year, Keefe."