Chapter Sixteen

They sat in awkward silence for a few minutes just staring at each other. Finally, the silence was broken when Maria stood up.

"I'm going to make us all some food and then we can talk about what's going to happen now. Okay?" She asked.

Both men nodded in agreement and sat in more uncomfortable silence until she returned. Maria reentered the room with a platter of cheese and crackers, set it on the table, and returned to her spot.

After taking a deep breath, Henry turned his attention to Damion. "How does this mate thing work? I understand the pull and such, but..." He trailed off.

"I'm not taking him from you if that's what you're asking. He's still your boy. Think of it as if we're dating. That's the easiest way to go about this, I suppose." Damion answered. His attention was on Henry, but his wolf was focused on listening for any sound from his mate.

This news seemed to relax the both of them and they began talking of 'normal things,' asking questions to get to know him. Ryan came padding down the stairs a few minutes later, stuffed animal clutched to his chest, thumb in his mouth, and a sleepy look on his face.

Damion's eyes widened in surprise as Ryan handed him his stuffed animal and then proceeded to wrap the blanket around himself and shift into his fox form. Maria let out a startled gasp while Henry stared wide eyed. The adorable fennec fox twitched his ears and padded over to Henry while grabbing the corner of the blanket in its mouth. Henry carefully took the blanket, wrapped it around Ryan, and picked him up. He returned to his seat with Ryan curled up in his arms. Ryan stayed there for a while as they talked but began to fidget so Henry set him down.

Ryan padded over to Damion and shyly jumped up onto his lap. Damion lifted his hand to pet the fluffy fox, but Ryan flinched. His wolf whined at the action. Ryan stood up on his back legs and nuzzled his head underneath Damion's chin as if trying to apologize for flinching. Damion's wolf made a soft sound, similar to a purr used to soothe anxious pups, in response.

Damion received a gentle lick on the cheek after a few minutes when his purring noise soothed Ryan. "Follow me. I need to shift and I owe you guys' proof anyway." Damion said, scooping Ryan up and heading to the backyard. He set Ryan down, walked a few feet away and began to strip. He then shifted into a huge black wolf.

Instead of cowering away from Damion, as they expected, Ryan's whole form lit up with excitement as he bounced around the giant wolf. He and Damion wrestled in the yard, Damion making sure to be extremely gentle, until Ryan was practically falling asleep standing up.

Damion shifted and redressed while Henry picked up Ryan's sleeping fox form and they all returned to the house.