Chapter Eighteen

"I'm here. What's the problem?" Damion asked as he walked in, his voice echoing in the quiet meeting room.

"Damion," Alex began, standing up and walking over to him. "There's been a rogue attack at the borders. We have no idea why, but they attacked in a group of seven."

"Seven? Those are very large numbers, especially for rogues." Damion commented, walking over to the map spread out on the table to see where the fight had been marked.

He leaned over the map examining every detail, making mental notes of where the attack occurred, what's in the immediate area, and who had dealt with the attack. It didn't take long for his highly protective brain to discover that the attack was fairly close to Ryan's house, and therefore the town.

"This isn't good. We can't have the town people getting wind of giant wolves in the area." Damion stated, making eye contact with Alex who understood what Damion meant without him saying it, 'and we can't let them be that close to Ryan.'

"Alright plan of action. Up the border patrols for a few weeks and see if we can discourage them from attacking. There are more of us than there are of them. If the attacks don't stop with our increased numbers, then we will pull back our border patrol and set traps. We'll let them think that they are scaring us and that we are backing off. As they come in, we capture as many as we can to find out who has them attacking us. There is no way these rogues have banded together of their own accord." Damion told his crew confidently.

They all nodded their agreement, happy to know there was a backup plan if the intimidation tactic failed. They all left the room after that to prepare for the long night they were about to have. The head warrior called a meeting with the lower ranked warriors to tell them of the plan and to also assign everyone to a group.

"Will you be joining us on the upped patrols?" Alex cautiously asked Damion.

"Of course, I will be! What kind of Alpha do you take me for? I am not going to let my people defend the pack and not be right alongside them! I am not a coward!" Damion answered angrily, his wolf at the surface, also angry at the notion of their Betta thinking so lowly of them.

Alex held his hand up in the 'don't shoot' gesture and bared his neck in submission. "I'm sorry Alpha. I didn't mean to suggest you're cowardly in any way. I was thinking of Ryan and that you would want to be near him, to protect him."

Damion calmed down almost immediately at the mention of his mate. "Of course, I want to be close to him but the best thing I can do for him right now is to get rid of the threat. The only way I can do that is to patrol as much of the land as I can. I planned on having you, and a group of your choosing be in that area anyway. You are the second strongest we have and therefore will be able to keep them away from the town, and Ryan, if they decide to test our boundary in that direction."

Alex nodded his head in agreement. His wolf puffing out his chest at the feeling of trust their Alpha has in them to not only protect the town, but also to protect their future Luna. He would make sure not to fail.

Damion pulled out his phone and sent a message to Henry letting him know he would be unable to return tonight, and that there is a threat near the territory that needs to be taken care of. He promised to keep them updated on the situation and to visit as soon as he can.

His phone chimed almost immediately after the message was sent. Damion looked down at his phone confused and pressed play on the voice recording, only to be met with his adorably quiet mate's voice whispering for him to "Be safe."