Chapter Fourteen

"A werewolf?" Henry asked. Damion nodded, eyes still glued to Ryan, who was cuddled on Henry's lap.

"Babe, Ryan's half fox, is that really so unbelievable?" Maria murmured.

"No, I suppose it isn't. What's a mate?"

Damion almost seemed to perk up at the word. "A mate is a werewolves other half. The person they're meant to be with, cherish, care for, and love the rest of their life." He said.

"And you're sure Ryan's your mate how?" Henry questioned clutching Ryan a bit closer to his chest.

Damion's eyes tracked the movement before he answered. "We can feel it. Their scent is addicting and draws us to them. We see them and our wolf lets us know that they're it. That they're the one."

Ryan yawned adorably, cuddled the stuffed animal closer, and nuzzled in Henry's neck before closing his eyes. Henry and Maria watched in amazement as a battle loomed in Damion's eyes. Damion's eyes flashed from their normal bright blue to a startling gold then back again a few times before settling on a mix of both, the gold swirling in the bright blue.

"Mate. Mine." Damion grumbled. However, his voice had grown deeper, a little rougher. Henry shifted Ryan from a laying position on his lap to an upright one against the front of his chest. The mixed eyes tracked the movement and a rumbly growl, louder than last time, rang out.

Damion stood from his chair and moved closer to Henry cautiously. Henry stood as well backing away. Another rumbly growl ensued.

"Mate. Mine. Gimmie." He stated, reaching for Ryan.

"No. I don't think so. I hardly know you. I'm not just going to hand my son over to a stranger. Especially if he doesn't want to go." Henry replied, moving further away.

Damion froze. Then his normal voice returned. "I'm very sorry about that. My wolf is fighting me to get to our mate. Normally a wolf's mate is another wolf, so we don't tend to have this kind of problem. Can I come closer please?"

"For what?" Henry bristled. Shifting to an even more protective hold on Ryan. Ryan was awake and paying attention, but the only thing on his mind was that Henry had referred to him as his son.

"I won't hurt him. I won't try to touch him without either yours or Ryan's permission. I just want to see him. To be near him." Damion answered trailing off.

Henry cautiously returned to his seat and allowed Damion to approach. Damion moved over to where Henry was sitting, his eyes roaming over Ryan's form, almost as if checking to see if he was alright. Ryan slowly leaned back, rubbed at his eyes, and laid his head on Henry's chest to look at Damion.

Damion smiled at him and murmured softly, "Hi, Ryan."

A barely audible squeak left his lips and he slowly held out his stuffed animal towards Damion. Damion gently took it from him before making the stuffie kiss all over Ryan's hands and face. This sent the little one into a fit of giggles and had him fully sitting up facing Damion, still on Henry's lap.

He made a motion easily described as 'grabby hands' towards Damion who then handed him back the stuffie. Ryan clutched the fox to his chest with his right hand. Then, with a giggle, reached his left hand out to Damion.

"What, Hun? I don't have anything else. Whatcha want? Hmmm?" Damion asked gently. Ryan made another 'grabby hand' motion, so Damion held out his hand and was surprised when Ryan placed his left hand in it. Damion's eyes changed fully to gold as they stared back into Ryan's eyes.

A soft noise left Ryan and he leaned closer to Damion. Damion didn't move even as Ryan set the fox in his lap and reached for Damion's cheek with his now free left hand. Henry and Maria watched silently as Ryan placed his hand on Damion's cheek and continued to lean forward until their foreheads touched.

"Mine." Damion, or rather Damion's wolf, breathed. Ryan nodded, closed his eyes, took a deep breath and shocked Maria and Henry when he replied "Mine."