Chapter Seventeen

Henry sat in his usual spot on the couch with Ryan's still sleeping form on his lap. Damion could feel his wolf becoming restless with the need to be near their sleeping mate. Henry tensed slightly when Damion sat next to him on the couch, still not fully comfortable with the thought of Damion possibly stealing their son away. It felt as if they had just adopted him. Ryan unconsciously felt the need from his mate as well as Henry's unease. He blinked sleepily up at Henry and nuzzled his head under Henry's chin trying to sooth his worries. He then stretched out across both men's laps, trying to settle them both. Henry gently stroked the soft fur behind Ryan's ears while Damion carded his fingers through the fur of his tail. Both men smiled at the soft purring that followed.

Maria entered the room not long after and smiled, glad they were getting along. She sat in the chair Ryan tends to occupy when he isn't perched on Henry's lap (which is not very often now-a-days). The three of them tried to find a good way to introduce them to Damion's pack without spiking too much anxiety. He wanted Ryan to be excited to meet his pack, not terrified. The only solution they could come up with is to meet them a little at a time. They would have to find a time that works to meet Damion's immediate family, then his friends, and eventually the rest of the pack. The discussion seemed to be going well until Damion's phone rang, which seemed to ruin the moment as it startled poor Ryan awake and disrupted their discussion.

Alex's slightly panicked voice came clearly through the phone, 'Hey, Damion, I know you're hanging out with Ryan and I'm glad things are working out, but we have a bit of a situation here.' With a sigh Damion replied that he would be on his way. He carefully stood, brushed his hand down Ryan's back, and pressed a kiss to his forehead. Ryan looked up at him with innocence and confusion that made Damion want to call Alex back and tell him to handle it. He knew he couldn't do that though. If Alex was calling him then it is definitely important and he needed to go, no matter how much he wanted to stay. Besides, the sooner this is dealt with, the sooner he can see his baby again.

"I'm sorry, Baby, I have to go home. I'll come see you as soon as I can. I promise." Damion said. His heart just about broke when Ryan let out a soft whine and tried to jump off Henry's lap to follow him. "Aww, Baby it's okay," Damion cooed as he replaced Ryan fully on Henry's lap. "I'll text Henry as soon as I get done to let you know everything is okay and then we can figure out a time to meet again. It's gonna be okay, Baby."

Maria took Damion's place on the couch. She and Henry tried to distract Ryan from Damion leaving with lots of attention and pets. It didn't work as well as they had hoped, and they ended up with a sad Ryan staring longingly out the window.