Chapter Five

Ryan became extremely tired, but didn't move from the chair. He blinked once, twice, and then was out like a light. Henry glanced over at Ryan and chuckled softly. Maria smiled and stood.

"I'm going to make sure his bed is ready. Would you mind carrying him up?" Maria asked Henry.

Henry smiled. "It would be my pleasure." He then stood and walked over to where Ryan sat, partially slumped over, asleep.

Henry gently began to lift Ryan up from the chair. Ryan whimpered quietly and squirmed slightly before settling against Henry's chest. Henry carried him up the stairs carefully, minding his movements, to not wake the boy. Maria had pulled the bed sheets down readying it for Ryan. Henry gently laid him down, removed his shoes and socks softly, and covered him up. Maria sat on the edge of the bed and gently moved a strand of hair from Ryan's forehead.

"Come on, Hun. We don't want to wake him." Henry whispered to his wife gently, taking her hand and leading her from the room.

They walked hand-in-hand to their own room and got ready for bed. They had just begun to doze off when they jerked awake hearing Ryan's cries for help. Henry was the first up and out of bed, rushing down the hall to Ryan's room. Ryan thrashed wildly, kicking and swinging his arms around, screaming and crying. Henry went with instinct and scooped the crying boy up. He held Ryan carefully, gently bouncing and hushing him. He rubbed soothing circles on Ryan's back while quietly murmuring to him.

"It's ok sweetie. It's alright. You're safe now. Nothing's gonna hurt you. Shh, shh, shh. We're here. It's all okay now." Henry murmured, slowly but effectively calming Ryan. "There you go. All better now. Nothing to be afraid of. Everything's alright."

Ryan finally settled, but clung to Henry's shirt tightly. Henry slowly sat down on the edge of Ryan's bed. After a moment Maria sat next to them, gently rubbing Ryan's damp hair. Henry held Ryan until the teens breathing began to even out, his fingers loosened, and then he became limp with sleep once again.

"Should we put him back in bed or...?" Maria asked trailing off. Henry looked over at her. "Why don't you head to bed, Hun? I'll sit with Ryan for a while just in case." Maria looked at him uncertainly and replied "Are you sure? I can stay up with you if you'd like."

Henry chuckled softly. "Go to bed sweetheart. I've got him." Maria pressed a kiss to Ryan's forehead and a quick peck to her husband's lips before heading back to bed. Henry continued to hold Ryan for another hour before standing up and laying him down in the bed. Ryan whined in his sleep trying to hold onto Henry's shirt again.

Henry didn't want Ryan to wake up again, the boy clearly needed to sleep, so he tucked Ryan under the covers, and laid on the bed next to him on top of the covers. Ryan tucked himself against Henry's side and slept easily. With a quiet chuckle Henry let his eyes close and slept as well.

The next morning Maria went downstairs to start breakfast, cooking up eggs, pancakes, bacon, and toast. Breakfast was almost finished when Henry came down the stairs carrying a still clinging Ryan. Henry moved to the table, setting Ryan down gently in a chair and then moved further into the kitchen to help his wife finish the food. Ryan sat fidgeting at the table before getting up and setting it.

"Thank you Ryan, you didn't have to do that." Maria said with hints of surprise in her voice. Ryan just shrugged and returned to his spot at the table. The food was then dished out and they ate silently. No words were exchanged and all that could be heard was the scraping of forks on the plates.

When everyone was finished Ryan helped Maria cleanup while Henry went to shower and get dressed for the day. Ryan shuffled his feet awkwardly when they had finished cleaning the kitchen.

"Let's head to the living room for some T.V. okay?" Maria asked, looking over at Ryan. He nodded in reply and followed her to the living room, curling up in the same chair as before. Maria turned the T.V. on and scrolled through the options, eventually settling on The Lion King.

Within minutes Ryan was captivated by the show, eyes locked on the screen, completely oblivious to the rest of the world. Henry came down soon after and traded places with his wife who then went up to shower and get ready as well. Ryan didn't notice the switch as he was still completely focused on The Lion King movie playing on T.V.

When the movie ended Ryan, who had blinked back tears a few times during it, stretched and rubbed at his eyes. He looked over at Maria and Henry sitting next to each other on the couch and squirmed nervously.

"Ryan, why don't you head up stairs and get ready for the day and we'll all go do something?" Maria suggested. Ryan nodded and silently padded his way up the stairs and into his room. He grabbed a random outfit and got into the shower. When he was ready and went down stairs, Maria was pulling her shoes on and Henry wasn't in the room. He pulled on his shoes and a sweater then stood there nervously unsure of what to do. Henry entered the room moments later with his coat and shoes on, keys in hand.

"Everyone ready?" He asked with a soft smile on his face. He followed Maria and Ryan out to the car after locking the front door. When everyone was situated and buckled Henry pulled out of the driveway and headed to the mall.