Chapter Two

Henry and Maria looked over the file carefully, neither able to believe the horrors Ryan had suffered. A few minutes of silence passed as they got to the end of the file. They shared a knowing look and Henry said, "We want him."

Jenna seemed surprised at their very sudden decision but didn't argue.

"Follow me." She said, leading them to Ryan's room. "I'll go in and let him know you are here then I'll come get you. When you come in please try to be quiet and keep your movements slow and deliberate. Essentially, no sudden movements. He frightens easily."

They didn't argue and stood in the hall to wait. Jenna opened the door and slowly walked in, shutting it quietly behind her.

Jenna walked over to Ryan who sat on his bed watching her approach. She slowly knelt on the floor by the boy's feet. Ryan wiggled around on the bed, uncomfortable with her being so close.

"There are some people here to meet you Ryan. Their names are Maria and Henry." Jenna said softly. "They won't hurt you. They're here to talk to you, maybe even adopt you. Is it okay if they come in?"

Ryan looked at her nervously and then nodded slowly. Jenna stood and slowly went to the door and opened it. Maria and Henry follow her into the room cautiously. Jenna stood by the end of the bed and gestured for Maria and Henry to sit by the boy's feet.

"Hello Ryan." Maria whispered softly in an attempt to keep him calm. "This is my husband Henry and my name's Maria."

Ryan stared at her unsure of what to do. He fidgeted slightly and chewed on the inside of his left cheek. He looked from Maria to Henry as if to take in every detail of them.

"Ryan we read in your file that you are mute. Is that correct?" Henry asked softly.

Ryan jumped slightly and his eyes immediately jerked to Henry. He nodded slowly in response.

Jenna smiled and slowly moved towards the door. "I'll leave you guys to chat. When you're done I'll be in my office down the hall. If you need help finding it I'm sure Alice can help you."

Maria slowly lifted herself off the floor and sat next to Ryan on the bed, who shifted uncomfortably but didn't flinch. It was when Henry moved that he began to experience a bit of panic. Henry noticed and stayed on the floor by Ryan's feet, trying to keep as still as he could in efforts to not frighten him further.

"It's alright, Ryan. I won't hurt you. If you're more comfortable with me on the floor I'll stay right here. We're not here to scare you or hurt you in any way. We want to help you."

Ryan looked at them cautiously, his eyes drifting from Maria to Henry with uncertainty. He nodded slowly and that caused Maria and Henry to smile.

"You're going to love it with us." Maria said softly, "You'll have your own room, your own bathroom, a place for all of your things."

"What do you say? Shall we tell Jenna you would like to come home with us?" Henry questioned softly, not wanting to pressure him.

Ryan nodded slowly again. "Go ahead and grab your things then." Maria responded with a soft smile, standing up from the bed to not crowd him. He then stood and retrieved a suitcase from underneath his bed glancing at Henry from time to time. Henry made sure to stay still on the floor as he didn't want Ryan to accidentally frighten him. Ryan began packing his clothes and other items into his suitcase. Once he was finished Maria slowly held out her hand to take his suitcase from him. After a moment of consideration, he carefully handed it to her and watched her leave the room. Henry then cautiously got up from the floor watching the panic flash in Ryans eyes.

"It's okay Ryan. I understand if you're not completely comfortable with me. There's nothing to worry about. I hope we can eventually have a nice trusting relationship. If there's anything you would like to know about me just ask, whether it's writing it down or gesturing, I will try to work with you to understand and answer all of your questions."

Ryan nodded and looked at Henry. To him, Henry didn't seem like a terrifying guy. Nothing like his dad or his dad's friends had been. He carefully followed Henry out the door and down the hall into Jenna's office where Maria was waiting for them.

"I put your suitcase in the car already Ryan." Maria said once she saw them nearing the desk.

"Henry, all that's left is for you to sign this page next to Maria's signature." Jenna said, smiling softly at Ryan.

Henry signed the papers, took his wife's hand and kissed the back of it, and together they led Ryan to the car.