Chapter Thirty-One (Ryan's P.O.V)

My birthday came faster than I was ready for. Don't get me wrong I am super excited to celebrate at the pack house with everyone, but I haven't been able to stop worrying about my possible heat. They said it could happen any time on or after my birthday. What if it happens at the party? That would be so embarrassing. Damion and I had talked more in depth about what my heat might consist of and how mating would work. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I've never done anything close to sex, well not consensually anyway, what if I'm terrible at it and he leaves me. What if the mate mark hurts? What if I hurt him?

As if able to sense my distress Damion came into the room and wrapped his arms around me. "What's wrong, Love?" he murmured softly in my ear.

"How did you know something's wrong?" I asked softly, leaning back into his chest.

"You're usually super excited to go to the pack house that you're ready before I get here and rush me out the door. You didn't even hear me coming up to get you. Love, stop worrying. We'll deal with whatever happens when it happens. Everything's gonna be just fine."

I found myself nodding and quickly finished getting ready. We walked hand in hand out to the car, before Damion stopped and opened the passenger door for me. I blushed as I slid into the seat and buckled up. He joined me in the car and off to the pack house we went.

We arrived quickly and I was immediately wished a happy birthday by everyone I walked past to get to the backyard. It's crazy to think that not that long ago I was so scared to come here and worried that they wouldn't like me, and now I love being here and surrounded by everyone. Other than that one incident with Jason, god that feels so long ago, everyone has been amazing, kind, caring, and so much more.

Henry was over by the grill with Maverick and Maria was sitting at a table with Damion's mom. I don't know how they don't run out of things to talk about with how much they talk! The kids ran up to me as soon as they noticed I was there tugging at my hands to get me to come play with them. Damion pressed a kiss to my temple and whispered lowly so only I could hear, "If you start to feel weird or crampy come find me right away." I nodded in agreement and followed the kids to an open section of the backyard. I shifted and let them chase me for a while before I chased them back, as this was their favorite game for some reason. It seemed just as I was beginning to get tired Maverick called out that dinner was ready.

I shifted back and went to sit with Damion, who was sitting with both of our parents. Maverick scooped me up into his arms and settled me on his lap with a plate in front of me. I could see the gold swirl in Damion's eyes for a second as he tensed before it retreated and he relaxed again. Weird. I wondered why he got tense like that. His dad has me sit on his lap all the time, and I sit on Henry's all the time? Is his wolf getting ready for my heat too?

Trying to go with the flow, I ignored it and started eating. Dinner tasted amazing as usual and still no weird feelings or cramps, so we moved on to cake and ice cream. I couldn't stop the blush on my cheeks as they sang for me and watched as I blew out the candles. Cake and ice cream were good as well and I found one of the pack doctors made the cake as it's a hobby of hers. We moved on to presents and I definitely blushed and stuttered my way through them. I'd never had this many people care that it was my birthday let alone get me gifts! As it got later and later I became too tired to keep up with the commotion. I don't understand how they have so much energy! They're up before me and always stay up later than me.

I yawned a few times and Damion gathered me up into his arms and let me curl against him. We sat for a while as he conversed with the pack some more, but I couldn't keep myself awake enough to participate in the conversations. At some point Damion must have decided it was time to go home because I woke slightly as he was buckling me into the car, but I can't remember the car ride. I woke again for a brief moment when I was laid onto the bed, but when Damion curled up behind me and wrapped his arm around my waist I was out again.