Chapter Eight (Ryan's P.O.V)

"I'm home. I grabbed two packs of different colors. I wasn't really sure if there was anything else I should get." Maria whispered as she came in the door.

I could feel Henry's chest move as he replied, "I'm sure they'll be just fine. If there's anything else he needs, we'll get it when the time comes."

I stayed silent as Maria went to the kitchen. Henry gently ran his fingers through my hair while humming softly. Maria came out of the kitchen and not long after, Henry tried to move my thumb. I'm not sure why but I immediately felt panicked and held my thumb tighter in my mouth.

"Hey, hey it's okay. It's alright. Here Hun, use this instead. Sucking your thumb is not good for your teeth." Henry murmured gently, grabbing my wrist and moving it.

I whined in panic and displeasure trying to return my thumb to my mouth when something else was eased past my lips. I froze, immediately frightened. My hands were being held gently in Henry's and as a reflex I pushed it out of my mouth.

"It's okay Ryan. It's okay. You can suck on the paci. It's alright." Henry soothed gently, sliding the rubber piece into my mouth again. I debated spitting it out but slowly sucked on it which made them smile. "See Hun. It's okay. It's not so bad huh?"

I slowly pulled my hands from Henry's and rubbed at my eyes. I felt so weird. My head and tummy feel different. I just want to be cuddled to sleep.

"Are you feeling okay, Ryan?" Maria asked, sitting next to us on the couch. I shook my head in reply. She touched my forehead softly with the back of her hand. "You do feel a little warm."

I whined softly and tucked against Henry again. Once I realized what I'd done I froze waiting to be shoved off. I'm not supposed to touch anything without permission, especially not them. What am I doing? I'm going to be in so much trouble. He's gonna hit me. They're gonna lock me in the closet. I can't. I can't breathe.

"Easy little one. Easy. You're okay. It's all okay. Deep breaths, Hun. Follow my breathing. In. And out. That's it. Again. In. And out." Henry murmured as he rubbed circles on my back and bounced his leg under me.

I whined trying to tell them I couldn't breathe. I tried scrambling off of him, but I felt so dizzy and nauseous. I don't want to sleep in the closet. It's so small and dark. I don't want them to get me. I... I...

Henry stood up quickly holding me against him and rushed us to the bathroom. He eased me down onto my knees and guided my head over the toilet. On instinct I put my hands on the toilet seat and tried to push up. Not again, please not again. Don't put my head in there. I can't breathe. The water hurts my chest and nose. Please. No.

"Calm down Ryan. Listen to my voice, little one. You're okay." Henry said, while one of his hands held the back of my neck and the other rubbed circles on my back. Maria knelt on the other side of me with her hand on my forehead holding my hair away from my eyes.

My chest tightened, my stomach convulsed, and I had to tighten my grip on the toilet as I started to puke, hard. Henry kept a firm but comforting pressure on the back of my neck and never stopped gently rubbing my back.

"Easy little one. Breathe. That's it. Good boy. Calm down. You're safe." Henry cooed softly. Good boy? I'm... I'm a good boy? Nobody's said that to me before. I can't be. I'm such a screw up. I can't.... "Breathe, Hun. It's okay. Just calm down. Such a good boy. That's it. Good boy. You're having a panic attack sweetheart. Listen to my voice. You've done nothing wrong. You're safe. Good boy. Breathe." Henry continued to coo at me.

I don't know how long had passed before I finally stopped throwing up. I was so tired. Maria wiped my mouth with a warm rag, then Henry lifted me up into his arms. He set me on the bathroom counter and gave me my toothbrush to use. After brushing my teeth, he picked me up again and carried me to the kitchen.

He got me a small cup of water and helped hold the cup so I could drink it. Then he set the cup in the sink and carried me up to my room. Oh no. I'm in trouble. He's going to lock me in there. Alone. For who knows how long. I don't want to. No, please don't leave me alone. Soft pats to my butt brought me out of my thoughts. Without realizing it I had wrapped myself like a koala around him, clinging for dear life. He kept one arm under my butt for support, guided my head onto the curve of his shoulder, then went back to gently patting my butt as he swayed and bounced me softly.

"It's okay pumpkin. You're safe." Henry whispered against my hair. "Nothing to worry about. Such a good boy."

I slowly leaned back and tried to sign to him that I was sorry and begged him not to lock me in here alone. He stared at me for a moment before sitting down on the bed. He brought both his hands up and cupped my face making me flinch hard.

"Hun, you have nothing to apologize for. We would never lock you in your room especially when it scares you this much. You have done nothing wrong. I know you probably don't believe this right now, but we would never hurt you. We won't hit, slap, kick, or do any other means of hurting you. And that includes mentally sweetheart. If you're afraid of being in a room alone then you can always come sit with one of us."

I had no idea how to respond. I still felt weird, and my body decided the best thing to do was to cry. He immediately cuddled me to his chest, stroking my back and hair while whispering reassurances to me. After a few minutes my cries turned to hiccups then soft sniffles.

He pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead and frowned. "You are pretty warm. Let's get you some soup and crackers then after you can nap for a while. Sound good?" He asked me. I nodded and sadly went to get up. Before I could he stood up setting me on his hip.

With a soft smile he said "I don't mind carrying you if you want to be carried, pumpkin. Don't be afraid to ask. The worst I will do is say no."

I nodded and nuzzled as close to him as I could get. He went to the living room and picked up the paci, then went into the kitchen. He rinsed it off in the sink then brought it to my lips. He gave me an encouraging smile, so I slowly took it into my mouth.

"Good boy." He stated. I could feel my cheeks heat with embarrassment at the praise.

Maria smiled and kissed my forehead then frowned. "Does he feel warm to you?" She asked Henry who nodded in reply. Maria set about making soup before another word could be spoken. I don't know why I feel so weak and tired. Henry seemed to notice my quickly draining energy because he carried me to the couch, sat me in his lap, and eased me against his chest with a gentle hold on the back of my neck.

"Sleep little one. I'll wake you when it's time for you to eat." He murmured, stroking my hair. I began to doze off, unable to keep my eyes open any longer. Right before I succumbed to sleep, I heard him softly whisper "Good boy."