Lessons, Love, and Innocence

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

The rain drizzled down on my face and into my mouth, threatening to choke me as I ran along the sidewalk. I found myself running a lot lately- Not only was I on the cross country team, but sometimes I ran to clear my head, sometimes to give me energy. It'd been about four months since I last saw Harry. We started off talking at least every other day, but as days faded into weeks and distance took its toll, we ended up hardly talking at all. Every little thing made it harder, because everything reminded me of him. Not to mention I couldn't go out of the house without seeing his face on a magazine somewhere. And music- every love song sang his name to my heart.

I used to cringe at the idea of going long periods of time without hearing his voice, but I was getting used to the idea. However, getting used to it didn't do much to lessen the pain of missing him. But I knew we were going to make it through; we always did. Because that's the way our love was. It was strong, durable. Everlasting.

The rhythmic sound of my feet slapping the pavement echoed down the sidewalk that only I occupied. The clouds rolling in made the sky became darker by the minute, and the soft, minute sprinkles of rain became plump droplets. I decided that the slippery cement wouldn't be on my side in terms of safety, so I rounded the next corner to head home.

When I approached my driveway, I increased my pace so I could get out of the rain as quickly as possible.

The warm atmosphere of my house greeted me, I peeled off my damp air-fit jacket, tossing it on the metal umbrella rack by the door.

"I'm home!" I called to my mother, who must've been buried somewhere in the back of the house. My shoes squeaked against the tile as I stepped into the kitchen to pour myself something to drink. I rummaged through the refrigerator and finally came across some orange juice. When I went for the cabinet to get a glass, I found an envelope on the counter. Wrinkling my nose, I flipped it over and found my name written in the familiar, scrawled handwriting.

As I started to rip along the top of the envelope, my mother could be heard walking up behind me.

"That came for you in the mail a while ago." She informed me with a knowing smile.

"Oh?" I grinned down at the envelope, silently debating whether or not it was too private to open it in front of my mother.

"Yes," She said slyly before turning around and heading into the living room, leaving me alone in the kitchen. As soon as she disappeared, I tore the envelope open, causing a small piece of paper to fall on the kitchen tile. But what initially caught my attention was something small, but heavy, wrapped up in black cloth. Taking the unidentified object out, I began to unwrap it, and I let a silver, naked charm bracelet slide out into my right hand. I gawked at the piece of jewelry, so beautiful and so real as I balanced it on my fingers, feeling the cool silver against my skin. I slid it on my slender wrist in one quick motion, promising myself that I would wear it faithfully the same way I wore the necklace draped around my neck.

Suddenly I remembered the small, folded sheet of pager that fell on the ground, when I bent to pick it up, I immediately unfolded it. In the handwriting that I would recognize anywhere, it read:

Charlotte,

Happy holidays. I wish I could spent my first Christmas with you. But, even though I can't, I wanted to send you this anyway. Sorry if it arrives a bit late!

I'm missing that smile of yours now more than ever. I've been incredibly busy with the band, so I don't know when the next time we'll get to talk is. Just know that I love you. We have to trust each other in every aspect and have faith that we'll always have each other. Because that's what love does. I'll love you more than you ever know, Charlotte. Today, tomorrow, and forever.