Five Weeks

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I would like to give a shout out to the wonderful @OneDayMaybe for making a trailer for Holding On! I'll put it up soon! I can't believe that this story is almost over. It's been a rollercoaster for me, but I'm so grateful. Thank you guys! There was going to be two more chapters, but I've decided that I'm going to split one of the chapters in half because it was so long! So there will be three chapters-plus an epilogue and a soundtrack. I love you all.x

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Five weeks. It had been five weeks since the accident. None of us wanted to admit it, not even to ourselves, but we had all lost a significant amount of hope. The doctors said that the swelling of his brain hadn't increased, but it hadn't decreased either. He could be in a coma for months, maybe even years. That was if it remained the same. If it increased... he might lose his life.

No one knew how long he had, not even the doctors. Normal comas usually lasted anywhere from two to four weeks. Harry wasn't a normal guy; so naturally, he wasn't trapped in a "normal" coma.

The thought of losing Harry was unbearable. If he lost his life, essentially, I would lose mine. I wanted him to live worse than I wanted to breathe. In the middle of the night, I would wake up in a cold sweat. I would pant, wail, cry, and everything in between. Liam told me that I must've been having a panic attack. So far I've had eight.

Lately, I'd been pulling up a plastic chair and sitting next to Harry's bed in the mornings. I would watch the sun set outside. The pink, purple, and orange rays of sun that shone through the window danced on his skin, also making his curls glisten. The scratches and cuts on his face were healing, but they were still very noticeable. I tried not to think about the impact of the accident. I tried not to wonder if he felt any pain before he blacked out. I prayed with all of my heart that he didn't.

I held one of his hands in mine, feeling his pulse. The pounding in my head matched with his pulse. To my initial surprise, our heartbeats were perfectly in sync.

I was scared...terrified, to be honest. If I lost Harry, I'd lose everything. If his heart ever stopped beating, I would completely lose every part of my mind.

I also felt an overwhelming amount of guilt weighing on me. In his last moments of conscious living, he probably thought I hated him. What if he were to die? What if his last memory of the girl he loved was one of regret, guilt, and depression?

What ever happened to happy endings?

I held his hand with all the tenderness that I looked at him with. I wanted so badly for him to stir, for his eyes to open, and for him to see me holding on to him. I wanted him to know how much I loved him. I wanted to see his eyes light up again, to see his lips curve into that dazzling smile.

A warm tear slid down my cheek, rolling down my chin and onto the bed sheets that I leaned over.