Chapter 4

edited 2021

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In spite of repeated insistence, Meera did not let her dad or brother come along with her until she could adjust in Seoul.

She assured them she was no longer a child and could perfectly take care of herself. She repeated the same excuse dozens of times to her neighbor aunties who were more worried than her family.

'Do call us as soon as you land, okay?' Rohan asked, fritting over her like a mother hen.

'Yes, you were saying the same thing throughout the drive.' Meera reached the security checkpoint, the place where she had to leave her three mothers behind.

'Do buy healthy food, even if it's expensive, I'll send money,' Her dad suggested.

She sighed and frowned, 'The money I have right now will be enough. You guys are seriously forgetting I'll get a salary...'

Poorva burst from the line of mother hens, pulling Rohan and Meera's dad behind her, 'Fine, group hug!' This, Meera allowed.

'I will miss you all,' Meera sighed.

'Get a fling, okay? Make me proud.' Poorva whispered and winked, making Meera laugh at her statement.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On the plane, Meera sat in her window seat, her thoughts roaming freely, 'Why am I tense? I can even speak Korean, I was there my whole childhood. 

I shouldn't be nervous. Brush it off, Meera, you can manage. It's nothing a short nap can fix.' And somehow, she was able to get some sleep like that.

It was almost morning when the announcer said the flight would land in two hours. Meera looked out of her window for some time and captured some sunrise pictures on her phone. 

The Seoul touchdown was beautiful in her eyes. She marveled at the huge city beyond it, hardly believing she was here after so long.

After she exited the plane, she checked in her baggage and got a new sim card. Then she went through the entire immigration process, which left her finding a taxi that would take her to her Goshiwon (rental motel).

The whole accommodation process went smoothly; the receptionist was very friendly and gave her a nice room and explained the locality. The only problem was becoming acquainted with her bedroom; her new space was rather tiny.

After taking a shower, Meera headed out to grab breakfast and look around the locality. She visited shops, spared glances at the restaurant menus she passed, and took in the general view of the landscape.

As the first week went by, she felt more and more suffocated in her tiny room. 'Maybe once work starts I won't notice. I won't even be using the rooms much anyway.' Meera thought.

There were still some days left before the internship was to start. During those days she roamed around, submitting her documents at the company, exchanging money, and getting used to her travel route.

Even though she'd spent almost nine years in Korea as a child, she never made a best friend. No one would talk to her even though she could speak Korean which is why Poorva was her first best friend. 

Other than that, there were a few times she would hang out with her brother when he went to his football practice, but that was it. 

Both of her parents would always be busy with work. As a result, many people would visit their house, but since she was a child, she was unable to socialize with them.

As she reminisced on that, she thought, 'Why does this feel so lonely again? It's like I'm thrown into isolation.' Meera tossed in her bed sleeplessly. 'I'll just get a snack. It will ease my mind.' she decided, pulling on her jacket and heading out with her wallet. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

let's be real before we dive into fantasy. moving to a new place is kinda scary?