Chapter 1

edited 2021

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

'Pappa, wish me luck,' chirped nineteen-year-old Meera, shoving her notes and water bottle into her bag. 'You don't need luck, sweetie. You have got the brains,' her Pappa replied, tossing an omelette onto a ceramic plate that sat on the counter. He pointed his finger to his temple, giving her a smirk that showed how much he believed in her.

'That's being overconfident, Pappa,' Meera scoffed. She hid a smile as she munched on the food and scrolled through her texts. Seeing the numerous texts from her best friend, Poorva, she opened her chat with her first.

'Meera! Look! Kim Soo Hyun is back!' Poorva had attached an article of Korean actors returning from mandatory military service.

'Good for you.' Meera replied with a thumbs-up emoji.

'Bye, Pappa. I'm leaving.' She placed the plate in the sink and left the kitchen, her dad calling out good luck after her. As she passed the hallway leading to the door, she smiled at her mother's portrait framed on the wall. 'Wish me luck,' she said.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Meera and Poorva sat together in a nearly full College classroom. Students either chatted or remained focused on their tasks, much like the pair of friends. They were waiting for the professor of their Circuit Analysis class.

And it was quiet until Poorva spoke, 'Just look at him.' She fangirled over her lock screen which showcased Baekhyun. Another one of her many, many men. 'We're taking our placement tests today, aren't you worried?' Meera snatched the cellphone from Poorva, locked it, and tucked it in her desk.

'Hurry up and practice the Quant.," seeing that Poorva was not making a move, Meera said, "Come on, you need to take our final year seriously,' Meera said, genuinely worried for her friend's scores.

'Fine, just give me my lucky charm back! Aaah~ My Baekhyunnie~' Poorva made her voice high pitched, beginning her aegyo. She continued to make cute hand gestures until Meera caved.

'Cringe af.' Meera's face contorted in disgust as handed back her phone which Poorva took, gratefully.

'Why aren't you interested in Korean culture? Didn't you spend your entire childhood there? If it were me, I would have never left.' Poorva nudged Meera, curious to hear her answer.

Meera sighed and looked at her friend. 'Korea is all fun and nice until you're treated like a complete outsider. People even wrote my name wrong. God knows how many times I explained its Meera and not Mee Ra. They think my last name is Mee,' Meera complained and Poorva chuckled.

'Only if my parents had an embassy job... I would have met so many oppas! Why is God so cruel?' Poorva pouted.

'Yeah, then you would become Poo va for them or even better POOP Va!' Meera picked up her stationery and ran before Poorva could hit her with a textbook. However, she swiftly returned to her seat when she spied the professor coming down the hall.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

comments will be messed up, so feel free to add new ones!