Chapter 2

My start was really bad.

edited 2021

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

'You look enthusiastic today,' Meera said, plunking her backpack beside her feet on the linoleum floor. She watched the rare sight of Poorva solving the technical quizzes. 'Today is the D-day,' Poorva informed her with an ambitious tint to her eyes.

Meera nodded, indulging her friend, 'Why? Which company is it this time, Google, Microsoft?' Meera asked, unaware. 'None of those, it's my dream company,' Poorva replied.

'Sumgsan? How many times have I told you, Poorva, they won't send you Korea just because it's the headquarters.' Meera facepalmed.

'Will it kill you to put faith in sheer luck?' Poorva sighed stressfully, as she struggled with the problems.

'Fine. Come, I'll tell you the concepts once more,' Meera smiled while she helped her with the tough questions.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

An hour later, Meera and Poorva sat together in a nearly empty College classroom. They waited, both anxiously and excitedly, to be called for their placement tests; the ones that would get them into a work field best suited for them, supposedly.

They entered the computer lab to take the technical tests and Poorva waved Meera towards the door across the room. 'Meera, Fighting!' she cheered.

'Can't you just say best of luck? At least it sounds normal,' Meera laughed at her friend's cheery attitude.

'Just shut up and go!' Poorva barked, positively offended.

~~~~~~ A few hours later ~~~~~~

Meera was chilling in the college library when she spotted Poorva returning from her tests. 'How was it?' She asked as Poorva took a seat beside her.

'I didn't even understand half the questions.' Poorva sighed.

'Hey, did I not explain the concept to you?' Meera questioned.

'Yeah, you did, but all I could remember in that lab was Girl I am your candy...' Poorva replied, ending her sentence off with a song lyric.

'See, that's the result of Obsession,' Meera admonished her.

'I don't think so, I don't think so...' Poorva sang, tapping her fingers to the invisible beat.

'Shut up and go away,' Meera took her book and smacked Poorva's head with it. Of course, it was the type of thing only friends could find humor in, making both of them giggle.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next weekend, Poorva was causing a ruckus at her bestie's bedroom door. She banged on the door, yelling, 'Meera, open the door damnit!'

'It's the weekend idiot, why are you yelling?' Meera opened the door with a sleepy face.

'Dude, you got selected! For Sumgsan internship!' Poorva shouted excitedly 'Aaaaah! I am so happy, finally one of us gets to go to Korea!' She practically danced where she stood.

Meera's brain was still foggy from her sleep. 'Wait, why am I going to Korea? We've still got interviews to clear. Don't be excited,' Meera replied, immediately pulling out her phone to look at the email.

'Can't you just be positive? Like even for one percent positive? You need to prepare for the interview! Look, I got this ready, it has everything about the company and its history. Just in case they ask you stuff about them.' Poorva handed over a USB pen drive excitedly. Meera took it and looked at her best friend.

Seeing her best friend's worry and love for her, made her want to squeeze her. So she said, 'I'm sorry.' and hugged Poorva as if she were a delicate flower.

Of course, Poorva wanted no sympathy, 'What, why are you even sorry?! Did you actually believe I would get selected? Oh, please! I was just hallucinating.' Poorva hit Meera's shoulders playfully.

'You sure?' Meera asked with a pinch of guilt in her eyes.

'Idiot just shut up. I am happy  for you.' Poorva replied, pasting a smile onto her face.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I wanna go korea too!