29

Oliver was sad because Quidditch was cancelled and the number of Petrifications had increased severely

Oliver was sad because Quidditch was cancelled and the number of Petrifications had increased severely. Oliver was happy because Delilah and James never went on that Hogsmeade trip because all of those were cancelled.

It was a little over a week before winter break when Alexander and Percy pulled Clarissa and Delilah to a side, "So you all know Oliver's birthday is coming up and he is turning seventeen," Alexander said excitedly, "We should throw a party for him!"
"Yes!" Clarissa jumped up and down clapping her hands, "But how are you okay with this, Perce?"
"Why wouldn't I be?" Percy asked.
"I don't know PREFECT Percy.." Delilah scoffed.
"I'm not as perfect as you think I am, I just get away with it" Percy chuckled.

It took a while for Delilah to realize that Oliver's birthday was the same day as her mum's. The girl felt herself grieving after a long long time.
She sat in the cool winds of the Quidditch pitch and wiped the tears off her face, holding her mum's picture tight to her chest. She would've been there with her for everything. She would've been so proud of her for playing quidditch and catching the snitch two years ago.
She sniffed in her tears and let the air caress her face as she sat in silence for a while.
"Hey Daffodil" She opened her eyes to see Oliver smiling at her.
"Hey Oliver! Happy birthday!" She wished him and pulled him into a side hug, "You're seventeen!" She exclaimed but there was a small lump in her throat and her face was completely red.
"Thanks, you okay?"
"Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just a lot of homework, I was overwhelmed" She told him, hiding the picture of her mum and tucking it into her pocket.
"aren't you cold?" He asked. The sun was hidden behind dark grey clouds and the wind was howling at them.
"I like winter, I don't feel that cold" she replied with a smile.
"You're one weird person. It's freezing out here!" He crosses his arms around himself for some warmth. The boy was especially sensitive to the cold. Delilah rolled her eyes, taking her red and gold scarf of her neck and shoving it to Oliver.
"Take it, I don't feel cold anyways"

Classes were dreadful and Delilah was looking forward to the party in the common room. She just wanted to forget about her mother and enjoy her day for once.
Mathew had sent her a letter about how sad he was which made her even more depressed but she was done moving around by the end of classes.
Jesse had been beside her the whole day but he was strictly told not to tell Oliver or anyone else and ruin it for them. He kept his promise but made sure she was alright every time he saw her.
The only highlight of her day was suprisingly potions where she met Oliver. They joked around and talked, eventually getting thrown out of class by snape.
"Where to now?" He asked her as they walked into the hallway.
"Let's just go to the common room, it is going to be empty anyways" she told him and he nodded.

The common room was barren. Delilah and Oliver sad in one of the windowsills sharing the cake his parents had sent him.
"Your mum has great taste!" Delilah told him as she took another bite of the cake. She did feel a pang of jealousy that her mother would never do something like this again. Oliver saw her face drop but she collected herself rather quickly, changing the topic.
"You ready for the party today?" Delilah asked him.
"I guess"
"It's your seventeenth birthday! Be more excited!" Delilah told him as she took some chocolate frosting and put it on his nose.
"Hey!" Oliver took some frosting and smeared it on her cheek. Delilah laughed as she retorted by taking half the cake and shoving it on his face.
"You're so dead!" Oliver grabbed the whole thing as Delilah ran from him, "I'm sorry! Don't do this!" She said between laughs.
He pulled her by the waist as she laughed, telling him to stop.
Oliver couldn't help but smile. She seemed so happy. He could look at her laugh all day. Delilah stopped laughing but her smile didn't falter as she saw Oliver watching her, "what?" She asked with a grin.
"You're pretty" he replied moving closer to her. She felt her breath hitch as their foreheads touched. They looked at each other intently. Their lips brushed against each other's and Oliver would've done anything to close the gap between them but the common room door opened and footsteps approached them.