Chapter 7

Bria was born in July 2015 an underweight, wrinkly, pink baby with big curious eyes and a head full of brunette hair. The midwife placed her on Valentina's chest as she cried. She instantly stopped when they made skin-to-skin contact. "Welcome to the world " she whispered to her as she gently stroked her sticky hair as the chaos happened just a few inches away from her. The doctor cleaned and stitched her up. "What is her name?" A young nurse asked her as she watched them." Bria," she replied "Bria Micheal Ramirez." It fitted so well Michael after her father of course even though they will never see each other again, she wanted to have a little piece of him with her in her name. Ramirez is her new name given by the witness protection program. Valentina emailed Nate about her birth and sent him a pic of her in her little crib next to her in the hospital. He wrote back congratulations. And he wished he was here to see her. He was her godfather after all. Even though it was never made official it was understood between them. She never messaged Nate about Michael, she couldn't regret it was still strong in her heart and head. She shot him and fled. Nate had to stage her death using a corpse from the morgue who was the most similar to her in age and appearance. Her car was then driven off a secluded road and down a cliff causing it to burst into flame. The corpse of the woman was then burned inside it until no recognition could be found. While she was safe in the witness protection that was what Nate told her and she placed her trust in him.

Valentina did without question she had her baby to think about, to protect. They did not predict that Michael would have Detective Cain killed, and would not even be arrested in the following weeks through his recovery in the hospital for his gunshot wounds. Michael had eradicated several more cops that were against mafia activities and took his place as the bosses of bosses.
Cain took the secret of Nate working as an informant to his grave, so Nate had to stay at her husband's side. She saw the news when they announced her death she was in her new apartment in California, sitting in her bed rubbing her stomach. She was way too exhausted from crying, and then her name came on the news. Her mother crying to the reporter, the reporter said that her husband was in the hospital recovering from a gunshot wound, and had not taken the news well.
The nurses were afraid to even enter his room to administer his medication, and then several days later her funeral was on the news. The reporters could not enter the church, but they were outside and she caught a glimpse of Michael standing, a single rose in his hands, and thick black glasses. His head bowed, refusing to look at the coffin which supposedly held her body as it passed by. Before it could enter the hearse, he rested his hands on it longly, until her mother touched him on the shoulder, making him pull away. Valentina could not breathe then.

_____________________________________

They arrived in New Jersey at around six in the evening and immediately got into one of Micheal Mercedes Benns. Bria had fallen asleep on the plane ride but had gotten up as soon as they had landed. she was still groggy from sleep so she pretty much clung to her mother the whole while as they drove to Millburn to Micheal's estate. Valentina started to fidget in her seat disguising it as if she was rocking Bria, she looked outside the window and watched the scenery as they drove trying to keep her mind off things. She wished she could open the door and dash out, even more, she wished that Micheal could just finish her instead of this long torturous ride but Bria was there and he wouldn't do anything in front of her. She saw how he looked at her when they were on the plane in awe. Like if she was this tiny angel Valentina was cradling in her arms. He saw her give Bria her medication and he watched on with the same pained expression she normally has knowing that her child was unwell, she could tell he had already fallen in love with their daughter.

_____________________________________

It was easy to forget they were once married. It was easier to remember the hurt of that last night, the one where she stood with a gun in her hand aimed at Micheal. Sylva had taken Bria as soon as they arrived at Micheal's estate, the one she called her home for two years. One year engaged and one year sometimes happily married.