Chapter 3

Two weeks since Toby's Murder.

Valentina looked at the bags thrown half hazardously on the bed as Sylva rummaged through her closet picking clothes to go into them. She arched her brows, sighing before sitting down on the edge of her bed. It was becoming increasingly harder to hide her pregnancy from Michael or the estate staff.

She was always nauseous, but she blamed it on her nerves. Nerves that were true because there was a war between the Maroni's and the Corazon. A war her husband started and hoped he finished. Two more sons of Tony Maroni were killed and Detective Cain was getting determined to stop the war, and the suitcase that was now on her bed was to send her away from her home to a safe house in the Corazone's secluded home in the countryside of New Jersey.

"Are you alright?" Sylva asked, walking back into the room as she looked at Valentina.

"No, I'm not. I don't want to go, much worse be trapped in a house with my husband who I can't even stand to look at right now." She laid back on the bed. She was stuck in here and had the added pressure of growing a baby. If it wasn't for Nate bringing in the prescription that the doctor subscribed to her, and those wonderful nauseous pills she thought she would have melted to the ground.

"Oh, stop it. Michael knows what he's doing." Valentina sighed.

"You were there when the first war happened, Sylva. When Michael's mother got killed, and his father made the truce." She nodded as she folded some towels into Valentina's suitcase.

"And why are you so nonchalant about it?" She asked, almost frustrated at the cool demeanor.

"Michael is capable, much more than his father. Besides, it is not my place to give my opinion to him. Neither yours my dear, just stand by him be his supportive wife. I have heard you, and your fights these past couple of weeks. When you should be his rock he has already so much going on." Valentina rolled her eyes.

"And what if we were to have kids, Sylva? What will happen to them once he's the Boss of all Bosses? Will they suffer the same fate as Toby and his brothers?" Her anger felt like lava pouring out her pores and dripping all around her. Sylva just looked at her with that dull expression only to say once again she must trust her husband's decision.

She could feel a tightness in her stomach, she was online last night visiting websites about her child's development. Her baby was the size of a passion fruit and already had its little heart fully developed. She placed her hand gently on her stomach, closing her eyes trying not to overreact or yell at Sylva.

That was cut short when she heard yelling coming from downstairs. Michael was home, and so was Nate but there was a new voice that sounded familiar but she couldn't place.

She got up, straightened her dress, and walked to the stairs. All eyes were on her as she scanned the room locking eyes with Detective Cain. She almost jumped out of her skin, she had seen him on the news several times talking about ridding the city of any Mafia affliction.

Her eyes flashed to Michael's and he looked at her tensely before turning back to the detective.

"In no time, I will have you behind bars Michael Corazon." She heard the detective say. Her husband curled his lips into a half-smile. Nate at the side of him looked at her as she made her way to the bottom of the stairs. Michael looked at her again.

"Valentina, go back upstairs," he said to her sternly.

"No!" she nodded, walking to where they stood. She can tell by the look on Nate's face it wasn't the best idea, but she didn't care.

"Why are you here?" She asked the detective who let out a little laugh at her boldness.

"Oh, haven't you heard your husband is going to be arrested soon, or you're too stupid living her in your bubble?" He said to her only for Michael to step forward to him. Nate held him back

"Don't talk to my wife like that,"

"Or what?"

"Or I'll fuck you up."

"Treatening a Detective you are a very bold man, Michael." He laughed again.

"Valentina, go back upstairs," Michael said again, this time slowly, his face hard before turning back to the cop. They stared at each other intensely. Valentina stood looking at her husband stare down the cop, Nate was looking at her furrowing his brows at her not listening to Michael.

"What's" Before she can finish the sentence Michael turned back to her and yelled.

"GO BACK UPSTAIRS," she jumped as her eyes widened. She can feel the rage building up in her. Detective Cain turned to face her as well.

"You better listen to your husband, this might be the last time he will be." He didn't even finish his sentence before Michael turned back to him, his fist crashing into his face. Everything seems to move in slow motion. Valentina's mouth dropped as Nate pulled Michael back who was still attacking the detective.

"Michael no!" Valentina screamed running closer to the guys. Cain was kneeled down clutching his face and laughing. His hand went to his pocket and he pulled out his handcuffs.

"You really fucking stupid you know that." He said with the biggest grin on his face.

"Michael Corazon you're under arrest for assaulting an officer." He walked to Michael who was still held back by Nate.

"Don't touch him," Valentina screamed at Cain who was already putting the handcuffs on Michael. This was all her fault she thought why didn't she listen to him before it got this far.

Nate held her back as she watched Detective Cain walk away with her husband.

"Fuck," Nate said from behind her and she turned to face him.

"We need to go after them, get him out of there immediately."

"I know," he replied

"We can't let him stay the night in there, they would kill him." She cried that the police were hard on Michael case hard since the Maroni killings. She bit her lips running upstairs to grab her purse and tell Sylva that she was leaving.

"No, you can't go," Sylva said following her.

"It's not safe, Valentina."

"I'm going with Nate," she yelled at the bottom of the stairs. Her husband just got arrested, and still, she wasn't allowed to leave the house because it's not safe. If she wasn't so concerned about what might happen to him, she thought she might choke him.

It took two hours and one million dollars to bail Michael out of jail. He sat in the front seat, his face riddled with marks from what she assumed was from those shitty officers.

It was almost midnight when Nate dropped them off and Valentina stood against the door of their bedroom as Michael took off his ripped shirt that was filled with blood. She wanted to run to him but he was annoyed with her and she didn't know how to approach the situation.

"Michael, I'm sorry," she began and his eyes shot up at her. He brought his brows together in irritation.

"Valentina, not now, please just be quiet." He said as he tossed his shirt to the side then looked at the suitcase Sylva packed. Her eyes followed his, and then her eyes started watering and she whimpered.

¨I don't want to go to the countryside in that house, I want to stay here with you Michael, you promised me I would be safe.¨ She cried her lips quivering as she looked at Michael, his eyes softening watching his wife cry. He walked to her pressing his forehead against hers, he did not need her crying now. She always has been since he told her that he wanted to bring his family name at the top once more, and it was killing him more than she knew seeing her in distress.

¨Please, baby just only for a little while," she snorted at his words, pulling away from him and walking to the side of the bed. She inhaled deeply and lay down.

¨You say that now, but I just know things are going to get so much worse. I want my life back like it was before,¨ she said, turning to face her husband who followed her and was now kneeling at the side of the bed, his hand reaching to her face as he gently pushed a strand of her golden curl from her face.

¨I would be so much better,¨ he said, pulling closer to her, but she turned away.

Ranni 🦋