Chapter 2

It was a shitty deal if you ask me, Valentina thought while rummaging through her phone in the rose garden Michael built for her for their first-anniversary present. There was a little pink swing its rope wrapped in silk ribbons. Valentina swung trying her hardest not to disobey her husband's demands.

He left after breakfast with Nate, who for some reason seemed still upset. He barely looked his usual self to her. What were they really talking about? She felt a chill creep up her spine and she instantly touched her stomach rubbing the little bump only she knew about.

The day was awfully boring, and there were new men dressed in black surrounding the premise after Michael left. She walked up to one tall heavy-set guy with pale white skin and striking black hair that looked like silk. He was covered in tattoos just like her husband.

"Who are you?" She asked him, and she couldn't help but notice how strict he was standing as if he was a bodyguard for the Queen of England.

"Security," he said flatly.

"Security? For who?" Her eyebrows furrowed at him, then she rolled her eyes thinking that Michael really sent people to make sure she didn't leave.

It was around six when Nate returned without Michael, his face blank and his eyes red. Valentina was sitting in the kitchen having a snack. 

"Where is Michael?" She asked, already feeling annoyed because she refused to call him after finding extra security at their house. She was patiently waiting to curse him out once he was at home.

"He's cleaning the blood from his hands," he said, looking directly into her eyes. She swallowed the cheesecake that she just took a bite off with a gulp.

"What?" she perked her eyebrows up at him, she wasn't in the mood for jokes "What, did you just say?" She asked slowly wondering if he misspoke or maybe warning him to reconsider.

"He's probably cleaning the blood off his white shirt." He said again with a little more contempt.  Valentina rolled her eyes knowing Michael probably was in some kind of fight or using some bloody tactics to threaten someone.

"Whose blood?"

"Toby Maroni," Nate replied and the plate that she was holding fell from her hand onto the floor. Her heart felt like it was going to stop. Nate's eyes followed the plate as it landed then looked back at her.

"Toby Maroni?" She repeated with a tremble.  He nodded.

"Not Toby Maroni, the Top Boss son? You are lying?" She was in disbelief, Valentina didn't grow up in the Mafia lifestyle, but she knew who ruled the kingdom and all the repercussions it brings if someone were to mess with the top boss.

"Why would I be lying," His words flew out of his mouth like poison.

"Michael wouldn't do something so stupid," she said softly the words feeling like they were choking.

"Michael wants what is rightfully his, and doesn't think about the repercussions. I begged him not to kill him. We've known Toby since he was a boy, I broke bread with him and Michael killed him for power."

"YOU'RE LYING!" stop lying to me please Nate I can't take it." Tears were running down her face now, and she touched her stomach thinking about the baby that was inside. There cannot be a war, she cannot afford to have her life in danger. Her life wasn't her own anymore because of the little baby as small as a seed growing inside her.

Nate walked up to her so fast, holding her by her shoulders making her look at him. His eyes were just as red as hers.

"I'm not dear Valentina, I'm not!" He said, squeezing her shoulders slightly. His eyes were honest, and she began sobbing louder.