Chapter 20

The orange glow of morning was making its way through the curtains, she shifted her gaze to the nightstand and looked at the clock. It's almost six and she groaned. She didn't want to be up this early, so she sat up on the bed leaning against the headboard and pulled her blanket around her for added warmth. They were in the beginning of October and the air was so chilly, she wanted to go in the kitchen and make herself something warm, but after the dream she had, a fear of running into Michael which made her think better of it.

Michael had given her a phone for her room. Just in case she needed something and he wasn't in the country, or if he needed to check up on her. It was an ancient thing, a wireless home phone. That only had restrictions, she can only call specific numbers and it is monitored heavily by Michael, she took the black handheld from it's socket because it was ringing.

"Hello!" she said slowly thinking it was Michael from the other side of the house.

"Good, you are up," said a familiar thick Trinidadian accent.

"Ma!" Valentina exclaimed she was so happy to hear from her.

"What time is it in France? I really hope I didn't wake you."

" Around six thirty, no you didn't wake me. I was already up." she told her.

"Good, love I called because the bank called me this morning to tell me ten million was taken from your account. What's going on hunny?" She asked with a concerned tone. Stefania used the money she gave her a smile crept across her face as she told her mother about her meeting with Stefania.

"What, you gave her ten million dollars?" her mother asked hectically.

"What about your future, Valentina?"

"Ma, I still have ten million, it's what I owed her and Gianni. Nate is dead because he was trying to protect me."

"Michael is still letting you go after you gave birth to the baby, Valentina."

"Ma, ten million is more than enough for me. Plus, I'm not going without my kids. I'm going to fight, the only way he's taking my kids is if he kills me.

"Don't talk like that, I will try to talk to Michael on your behalf. I'm trying. No, talk about death, okay."

"Ma, I know but it scares me. I can't even fathom the thought of leaving my kids behind. Every time my stomach grows it's only reminding me that it is closer to the time I might have to leave them. I can't bear it. It's breaking my heart.'' she felt tears welling in her eyes, she looked at the clock again and it was close to seven.

"Ma, I have to go, I have to go and get Bria ready for her breathing treatment." she told her and they said their goodbyes. She said she was going to talk to Michael again. Michael never really took advice from her mother, so she knew it would be a dead end. If anything she will have to win this fight on her own.

Valentina got up from her bed and walked into her personal bathroom, she washed her face and brushed her teeth. Changing her night gown to a pink sweater and black leggings, something to accommodate her growing belly, she was about to turn five months next week.

She slowly walked to her door, peeking out making sure Michael wasn't in the hallway, she thought she would've blush to death if she saw him right now.

The hallway was clear, so Valentina walked to Bria's room. Her precious girl was already up just staring at the ceiling.

"My love, good morning." she said to her as she walked to her bed sitting on the edge and tousled her hair.

"Good morning, mommy." She smiled, her voice slightly hoarse. Sweet girl, she thought today would be her first day of treatment. She fixed her breathing tube and lifted her off the bed to get her ready for the day.