Chapter 16

"I'm being totally honest, Michael, I asked Kiara to get some pregnancy tests when she told me she was pregnant. And I took one and it was positive," she told him and he pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed deeply.

"Valentina, I have no time to deal with your lies, our daughter is in the hospital," his eyes flashed at her as he searched her face. Trying to figure out if she was truly lying or being honest.

Valentina started to move away from him as he let his hand fall to the side, she planted her feet on the ground and she felt all the blood rush from her head. Still woozy, she went into the bathroom, she felt Michael's eyes followed her, then his footsteps. He was right behind her as she entered the bathroom. She walked to the cabinet above the sink and pulled out the pregnancy test with the positive sign on it.

He looked at it over her shoulders and then maneuvered himself and took it from her hand. He sighed again deeply and Valentina turned to face him biting her dry lips, his eyes dark as he looked at the positive pregnancy test.

"I need you to take another one, right in front of me," he said looking up at her and pointing to the other unopened pregnancy test in the cabinet.

She nodded and picked up one of the boxes all the while feeling Michael's gaze on her. It was a physical sensation, his gaze burned through her clothes and danced along her skin.

Valentina pulled down her pants and peed in the little container that came with the pregnancy test. When it was full, she stuck the test in the warm yellow liquid and they waited. Michael had taken a seat on the edge of the pristine bathtub, his body bent hands clasped together. His hair blocking part of his face. The exact same place where Valentina found out about her second pregnancy.

The room was silent, too silent, and almost awkward. she shifted slightly and felt her nerves getting the better of her. When she was nervous, she talked and the mirror in front of her kept showing her the ugly bruises on her face and her neck. So she turned to face him and smiled. His eyes met hers and they were cold.

Does he truly hate me now?

"You know I think it's going to be a boy, with Bria I felt sick right away. This baby I had no morning sickness at all," she said to him trying to make conversation.

"Let just see if you are indeed pregnant," he said slowly, his words concealing a threat. If her pregnancy wasn't true, she could only imagine what he would do to her. But she was pregnant and this pregnancy test will prove it.

After a little while, Valentina looked at the test and took it out of the urine, Michael stood up immediately and walked to her grabbing the pregnancy test out of her hands. She gasped, and he stood still for a little while as he took in the results.

"Positive," he said more to himself than her, she could not read his face. Is he happy at the news or disappointed? He finally looked up at her and his eyes widened, he was holding back tears as he pulled her closer to him. He was gentle and she found it odd but still flinched anyway.

Michael looked at the bruises on her cheek and neck and she couldn't think. He had this deep look in his eye. As if all the fire was replaced with ice and he touched those red marks.

"Michael," she whispered, afraid to move, she was sure he could hear her heart beating in her chest.

"To think I was going to kill you, to think I almost killed my child," he murmured and then he fell to his knees and wrapped his arms around her waist, and placed his head on her stomach possessively.

"Please, forgive me," he said, choking on his tears but not to Valentina but to the baby growing in her stomach.

For the first time since Valentina became pregnant, she finally felt a sudden wave of nausea. Michael still had his arms around her waist and she pulled away and ran to the toilet. He followed her holding her hair away from her face. Everything hit her so suddenly and her stomach pulsed so much she thought it left her body and was in the toilet below her.